Shorshe Bhindi Chingri (Okra & Prawns in Mustard Sauce) is a delicious Bengali preparation. Shorshe dharosh chingri is made with okra/bhindi and prawns cooked in pungent mustard sauce made with mustard seeds, poppy seeds, green chillies and freshly grated coconut.
Bengali cuisine is very popular for it’s curries made with mustard paste. Dishes like Shorshe ilish, shorshe bhapa chingri, shorshe potol, shorshe maach are loved and enjoyed by each and every Bengali. Today I am sharing one of my favourite dishes that I thoroughly enjoy.
What are the ingredients used to make Shorshe Dharosh Chingri?
- Prawns/Shrimp (I have use tiger prawns)
- Green Chillies
- Ginger-garlic paste
- Mustard seeds (Black or white)
- Poppy seeds/Posto/Khus Khus
- Fresh coconut
- Nigella seeds
- Turmeric powder
- Chilli powder
- Mustard oil
Shorshe Dharosh Chingri is a classic Bengali dish with strong flavours of mustard and poppy seeds. Mustard oil and mustard paste are the essential ingredients of this bengali delicacy.
How to make Mustard paste?
To make mustard paste for this curry we start by soaking the mustard seeds and poppy seeds in some warm water for 10 minutes. Then add the soaked mustard seeds and poppy seeds along yogurt, fresh coconut, green chillies and pinch of salt. And ground into a smooth paste.
Here are few recipes that you can try.
Shorshe Bhindi Chingri
Shorshe Bhindi Chingri | Okra and prawns in Mustard Sauce| Bengali shorshe dharosh chingri
- large thick bottomed pan/ large Kadhai
- 300 grams Bhindi/Okra/Dharosh washed and cut off the head
- 250 grams Prawns/Shrimp/Chingri maach washed and peeled and marinated with some salt and 1/4 tsp turmeric powder.
- 1 large Onion chopped
- 1 tsp Ginger-Garlic paste
- 2-3 green chillies Slit
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp Chilli powder
- 1/2 tsp Nigella seeds/Kalo jeera
- Salt (as per taste)
- 3-4 tbsp Mustard Oil preferably (you can also use veg oil)
Mustard paste ingredients
- 2 1/2 tsp Mustard seeds
- 1 tbsp Poppy seeds/Posto
- 1 1/2 tbsp Fresh grated coconut
- 1 1/2 tbsp Yogurt
- 2 Green chillies
- Pinch of salt
Make mustard paste
- Soak the mustard seeds and the poppy seeds in 2 tbsp of warm water for 10 minutes.
- Now add all the ingredients listed under mustard paste along with the water and ground into a fine paste.
Make the gravy
- Heat mustard oil in a large pan on medium high heat. When hot add the marinated and saute for 1-2 minutes or until the prawns are no longer raw.
- Take it out with a slotted spoon and keep it aside.
- In the same oil add the kalo jeera/nigella seeds and saute for few seconds
- Now add the sliced onions and saute for 2-3 minutes or until soft and translucent.
- Next add the ginger garlic paste and saute until the raw smell disappears.
- Toss in the okra/bhindi and fry along with the onions on medium heat, stirring constantly.Saute for 10 minutes until the okra is 80 percent done.
- Pour in the mustard paste along with 1/4th cup of water the chilli powder, turmeric powder and salt and mix it well.
- Cook for 1 minute.
- Next add the prawns and along with the green chillies and cover and cook for 3-4 minutes on medium heat. you will see it releasing oil from the sides.
- Take it off the heat.
- Serve it hot with Rice .
I hope you enjoy this delicious Shorshe Bhindi Chingri as much as we do!
Stay safe! Stay Positive!