Lasooni Methi Mutton Curry is a supremely delicious and rich mutton/lamb curry. Lasooni methi mutton is flavoured with lots of garlic and methi dana (fenugreek seeds) which adds a distinctive flavour. A total flavour bomb!!
Today, I am sharing with you one of my mother in law’s meat dishes, “Lasooni methi dana mutton”. I have mentioned this earlier too when I shared some of her amazing unique dishes, and I am saying it again she is a brilliant cook. And can cook a complex dish with such ease.
Lasooni stands for garlic and methi dana stands for fenugreek seeds. The meat is cooked with loads of garlic and a whole garlic along with the fenugreek seeds which when cooked with aromatic spices, transforms and gives a sweetness and depth of flavour to the dish.
Another interesting ingredient used in this lasooni methi mutton curry is vinegar. I used malt vinegar. Vinegar not only tenderises the meat but gives a lovely tangy flavour to the curry which makes it absolutely irresistible. This garlicky mutton curry goes perfectly with hot seaming rice and roti. We totally enjoyed this curry with spinach roti.
Ok now, with out wasting anymore time let’s have a look at the ingredients.
What are the ingredients used in lasooni methi mutton?
- Green chillies
- Ginger-garlic paste
- Turmeric powder
- Chilli powder
- Salt as per taste
- Whole spices (Cinnamon , cardamom , cloves, bay leaves )
- Methi seeds
- Mustard Oil/Veg oil (mustard oil preferably)
It’s super easy to make this mutton curry. I have cooked the lasooni methi mutton curry in an Instant pot/ pressure cooker. Which seriously halves the time to cook and the meat is absolutely succulent and juicy and just falls off the bone. You can slow cook the meat too if you desire.
Can we use some other meat in this recipe?
Yes, of course you can. You can make it with chicken, lamb, beef. I also make a similar curry with chicken. It is equally delicious. Here is the recipe if you wish to try Methi dana Chicken.
Can I substitute vinegar in this recipe?
You can substitute 1 tbsp vinegar with 2 tbsps of lime juice. But I would suggest that you use vinegar if possible to get the authentic taste of this mutton curry.
Here are few mutton/ lamb recipes that you can try.
Patla Mangshor Jhol – Bengali Lamb/Mutton Curry
Spicy Lamb/Mutton Liver – Kaleji Masala
Mutton Do Pyaza (Gosht Dopiaza)
Mansa Tarkari (Mutton Curry) Odia Style
Kosha Mangsho (Bengali Mutton Bhuna)
Keema Matar Paratha | Lamb Mince Flatbread
Lasooni Methi Mutton Curry
Lasooni Methi Mutton Curry
- large thick bottomed pan/ large Kadhai
- Instant pot / pressure cooker
- Large bowl
- 1 kg Mutton/Lamb I used 2 inch mutton pieces
- 4 large Onions (arnd 3 cups) thinly sliced
- 4-5 Green chillies
- 3 tbsp Yogurt
- 4 tbsp Vinegar I used malt vinegar
- 2 tbsp Ginger-garlic paste
- 1 tsp Turmeric powder
- 2 tsp Chilli powder (or as per taste)
- Salt as per taste
- 2 tbsp Mustard Oil
For the curry
- 1 large Onion (roughly chopped)
- 10-12 large Garlic cloves (roughly chopped)
- 1 tsp Methi seeds roughly pounded
- 2-3 Bay Leaves
- 2 inch Cinnamon roughly pounded
- 5-6 Green Cardamoms roughly pounded
- 7-8 Cloves roughly pounded
- 1 whole Garlic (optional)
- 1/2 tsp Sugar
- Salt as required
- 4-5 tbsp Mustard Oil/Veg oil (mustard oil preferably)
- In a large bowl add all the ingredients and mix everything and marinate for at least hour. The longer the better.
- Roughly chop garlic and onions.
- Heat mustard oil in a pan on medium-high heat. When hot temper it with bay leaves, cinnamon, cardamoms and cloves and methi seeds (fenugreek seeds).
- When the spices sizzle and are fragrant, toss in the chopped garlic and onion.
- Sauté till they are soft and golden brown.
- Now add the marinated meat and saute on medium high heat.
- Sauté the mutton for 18-20 minutes on medium heat stirring continuously. Saute until the meat looks no longer raw and you see oil on the sides.
- Now add dd 1 1/2 cup of hot water along with whole garlic and give it a good mix. bring it to a boil.
- Transfer the meat to a INSTANT POT or pressure cooker and pressure cook on HIGH for 13-15 minutes depending on the quality and size of the meat or if using pressure cooker, cook for 5-6 whistles. Cook until the meat is absolutely tender and fall of the bone. Do a taste test salt or sugar if needed.If you are not a curry person you can crank up the heat on high and boil until you have the desired consistency.
- Serve it with hot steaming rice or roti along with salad.
I hope you enjoy this Mexican Lasooni Methi Mutton curry as much as we do!
If you have tried this recipe, please don’t forget to tag me. I would love to see your wonderful creations. @gastronomicbong or #gastronomicbong on Instagram or on Facebook.
Stay Safe! Stay Positive!
Jim KnoxApril 20, 2021
Garlic in mutton at its best. will sure try out this mutton recipe.
[email protected] BongApril 21, 2021
Thank you so much 💓