Patla Khasir Mangshor Jhol – Bengali style Mutton Curry recipe is every Bengali household delicacy. Bengali style mutton curry (Mangshor Jhol) is basically a spicy thin stew of lamb/mutton and potatoes made with minimal spices, yet it’s so delicious. It is cooked along with the onions and potatoes until the meat is soft and fall of the bones.
Shubho Bijoya my lovely friends!
After celebrating Maa Durga’s stay with immense glory and honour for last four days, we finally bid adieu to Maa Durga with a heavy heart.
Lets not be sad and enjoy this delicious Patla Mangshor Jhol – Bengali Lamb/Mutton Curry.
Bengali Sunday Afternoons….
Mangshor Jhol or Kosha Mangsho just like this Chicken kosha or Murgir Jhol is a quintessential Bengali Robibar (Sunday) delicacy. “Mangshor Jhol” always transports me back to my childhood days. On Sundays the whole family gets together and enjoy a delicious, traditional authentic Bengali breakfast as well as lunch. Sunday is a day of good food and fun.
A lazy Sunday afternoon consist of Patla Mangshor Jhol – Bengali Mutton Curry. And many more dishes with lots and lots of adda(gossips). The aroma of aloor dum and Luchi used to wake us up on Sunday mornings.
My sister and I used to wait eagerly for our lunch. With every whistle of the cooker the gorgeous aroma of the spices and jhol wafts through the air. And tickles our senses making us more and more hungry.
I think this happens in each and every Bengali household. Sunday lunch and breakfast is an integral part of our lives, and now we try to carry forward that tradition.
Patla Mangshor Jhol – Bengali Lamb/Mutton Curry
It is a spicy thin stew of lamb/mutton and potatoes made with minimal spices. Yet it is so delicious. Usually its made with Kochi Patha ( young goat meat). Since it is not easily available here, lamb meat it is. The meat is marinated with mustard oil, yogurt, ginger-garlic paste and few other spices. It is then fried long with the onions and potatoes until the meat is soft and fall of the bones.
So here is my mom’s version of Mangshor Patla Jhol (Bengali Lamb Curry)
- 800 gms lamb
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tbsp chilli powder
- 1 tbsp coriander powder
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 4 tbsp thick greek yogurt
- 2 tbsp mustard oil
- 1 1/2 tbsp ginger garlic paste
- 2 large potatoes, washed and peeled and cut into 4 pieces each
- 2 large onions, thinly sliced
- 2-3 bay leaves
- 2-3 dried red chilli
- 2” cinnamon
- 5-6 cloves
- 4-5 cardamom
- 3-4 tbsp mustard oil/ vegetable oil
- 1/4 tsp garam masala powder
- Firstly in a large bowl mix all the ingredients for the marinade and the lamb/mutton and combine it well with hands and keep it aside for 2-3 hours. Overnight would be even better.
- Now rub the potatoes with half tsp of salt.
- In a heavy bottomed pan or a pressure cooker heat 2 tbsp of oil and fry the potatoes on medium to high eat until it starts to brown on the sides. Remove with a slotted spoon and keep it aside.
- In the same pan add the rest of the oil and add the bay leaves, dried red chillies, cinnamon, cloves, cardamoms and fry until you get a beautiful aroma of the spices.
- Then add the sliced onions and fry until light golden brown.
- Add the marinated meat and mix it all well. Mix and stir frequently to prevent it from sticking to the bottom.
- Fry the meat until the the meat is brown and the spices coats the meat.
- At this point add the fried potatoes and give a stir. then add 4-5 cups of water and cover the pot with a lid or pressure cook it.
- Cook till the lamb/mutton is done and falls of then bones.
- Meat will be perfectly cooked with oil floating on top. Check for the seasoning. add salt and sugar as per required. Sprinkle the garam masala powder and mix gently.
- Serve it with gorom groom bhaat(hot Rice) and salad.
Patla Khasir Mangshor Jhol is best eaten with rice or roti with a side or salad.
Mutton or lamb lovers?!!! Here are few lamb or mutton recipes that you can try.
Mutton Do Pyaza (Gosht Dopiaza)
Mansa Tarkari (Mutton Curry) Odia Style
Kosha Mangsho (Bengali Mutton Bhuna)
Lamb Chana Masala (Lamb Chickpea Curry)
Hope you enjoy this this Patla Mangshor Jhol – Bengali mutton curry recipe as much as we do. Have a great weekend ahead.
I hope you enjoy this Bengali Patla Khasir Mangshor Jhol recipe as much as we do!
I would love to see your creations. If you have tried this recipe, just click a picture and don’t forget to tag me @gastronomicbong or #gastronomicbong on Instagram or on Facebook.
Bon Appetit !
marcieOctober 30, 2018
This dish has so much flavor from the marinade all the way down to the curry! What a comforting delicious meal.
[email protected] BongJuly 1, 2019
Thank you Marcie!! this dish is very delicious.. the meat just falls of the bones..