GAJAR KA HALWA (Indian Carrot Pudding) is a rich and creamy traditional North Indian delicacy. Gajar ka Halwa ia an absolutely delicious dessert. This sweet carrot pudding is made with red juicy grated carrots simmer in full fat milk then sweetened with condensed milk or sugar, cardamom powder and garnished with ghee fried nuts and raisins.
Finally! Finally I could upload my blog post..
Seriously, it is becoming increasingly difficult to peacefully sit and write a blog post with my 16 months old super active little man, monkeying around all the time and in need of constant attention. He is definitely a mumma’s boy, all he wants is his mumma by his side allllll the time. Phewww!!!!
I try to schedule my day according to his timings, but it gets extremely hard to follow that.. haha… As he is getting older his nap time is getting shorter, which means I don’t have the luxury of time.
Now back to the post.
I went over my archives few days back to check for Indian desserts and guess what… NONE!!
I know.. How is it even possible. I have so many desserts recipes. Cakes, cookies, biscotti & chutneys. But not a single Indian dessert. That is why I have decided to do a series of Indian sweets in the coming months as its the best time for desserts as we have so many festivals like Navaratri, Durga puja & Diwali coming up.
But seriously do we need any occasion or festival to enjoy sweets?! Naah!!!
So here is one of the most loved and delicious Indian dessert “GAJAR KA HALWA (Indian Carrot Halwa)“.
Gajar ka halwa is a rich and creamy traditional North Indian delicacy. An absolutely delicious dessert. It is one of the winter dishes in Indian coz thats the time when beautiful red and juicy variety of carrots are abundantly available. We love gajar ka halwa and my maa used to make it quite often which would be relished and finished off in no time.
This sweet pudding is made with red juicy grated carrots simmered in full fat milk (full fat milk will give the best result) then sweetened with condensed milk or sugar, flavoured with cardamom powder and garnished with nuts and raisins fried in ghee. Ghee fried nuts give such an exotic flavour to this dish. The house smells wonderful and festive too. I am actually salivating as I am writing this.
Today, I am sharing a very simple and easy GAJAR KA HALWA (Indian Carrot Pudding) recipe. I have substituted the sugar with condensed milk. Yup! no sugar at all. We like our desserts not very overly sweet. Condensed milk has its own sweetness so it was perfect. But if you think the sweetness is not up to your mark you can add few tablespoons of sugar as per your taste.
Lets not wait and jump straight to recipe.
- 500 gms Carrots
- 500 ml Full fat milk
- 250 gms Condensed milk
- 1 tsp Cardamom powder (freshly ground)
- 2 tbsp Ghee
- 1/3 cup Cashews and almonds (broken or slivered fried in one tablespoon of ghee)
- 1/4 cup Raisins
- Wash and peel the carrots, then grate the carrots to medium thickness as it would give a better texture.
- In a large pan heat 2 tbsp go ghee then add the carrots and fry on a medium heat.
- Sauté the carrots for 4 to 5 mins until it turns slightly tender.
- Then add the milk to the carrots and let it simmer. Stir frequently.
- Cook until the milk is fully absorbed and the carrots are soft and cooked.
- Now add the condensed milk, cardamom powder and the raisins. Mix it well and continue to cook for another 4 to 5 mins until it dries up and you get a halwa consistency.
- Check for the sweetness, add more condensed milk or sugar if needed.
- Garnish with the fried nuts and serve.
- Its best served warm.
Gajar Ka Halwa or Carrot halwa is best served warm. Even better with a scoop of ice cream.
You may also like this