Gulabi Khoya Chicken Recipe (Chicken with Rose petals) is a rich and delicious Mughlai dish with subtle aroma of rose. Gulabi chicken is delicately flavoured dish made with khoya, ghee, nuts and aromatic dried rose petals. Makes a perfect centerpiece for any party.
With weekend just around the corner I wanted to share this mind blowing chicken recipe with you all. Gulabi chicken is rich and so yummy and not many masalas are used to make this dish.
I have learned this recipe from one of our Punjabi neighbours back in India. Any special occasion at their place and this Khoya chicken always made it to the menu. We used to lick our fingers off it was just so so delicious. Obviously I had to note down the recipe and have been enjoying it ever since. It goes wonderfully with soft naan or parathas.
What ingredients are used to make this Gulabi Chicken?
Gulabi Chicken is a true definition of “SHAHI”. I say so because the chicken is made with very few but rich ingredients. ANd surprisingly there is hardly any Indian masalas used.
- Rose petals
- Rose water
- Ginger garlic paste
- Cardamom powder
- White pepper powder
- Cashew nut
Here are few delicious Mughlai recipes that you can try.
Gulabi Khoya Chicken Recipe
Gulabi Khoya Chicken | Mughlai Murgh
- Large bowl
- large thick bottomed pan
- 1 kg Chicken **
- 1 cup Yogurt
- 1 tbsp Ginger-garlic paste
- 1 1/2 tbsp Rose Petals
- 2-3 tsp White Pepper Powder
- 1/2 tsp Cardamom seeds powder
- Salt (as per taste)
For the curry
- 2 large Onion chopped
- 1/2 cup Khoya
- 2 tbsp Cashew nut paste
- 1 tbsp Almond paste
- 1 tbsp Pistachio chopped
- 1 tbsp Almond chopped
- 1 tbsp Rose water
- 1/4 cup Fresh cream (optional)
- 1/4 cup Ghee (preferably) / Oil
- 1 tbsp Pistachio chopped
- 2 tsp Rose petals
- In a large bowl add all the ingredients listed under marination and mix it well. Keep it marinated for at least 1 hour.
- Heat ghee in a large thick bottomed pan/Kadhai on medium high heat. When hot add the chopped onions.
- Fry the onions for 6-7 minutes or until soft and golden brown in colour.
- Add in the khoya and mix it well with onions and saute until it is melted.
- Next add the nuts paste and saute for a minute stirring continuously.
- Toss in the marinated chicken along with the marinated and mix everything well. Cook for 10 minutes on medium high heat stirring frequently.
- Then 1/2 cup of water add in the chopped pistachio and almonds and mix it well. Cover and cook on medium low heat for 25-30 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through.
- Now add rose water and cream (if using) to the chicken and mix it well. Check the seasoning add salt if required. Crank up the heat to adjust the consistency. The gravy o the gulabi chicken is on the is on the thicker side.
- Garnish with rose petals and pistachio and nuts and serve it hot with naan or parathas or rotis.
I hope you enjoy this delicious Gulabi Khoya Chicken as much as we do!
Stay Safe! Stay Positive!