Afghani Style Tandoori Chicken is an incredibly moist and juicy and tender roasted chicken marinated with yogurt, kasoori methi (dried fenugreek leaves) and few spices. This tandoori chicken is full of flavours and is perfect for bbq or grill it in the oven.
Hello my lovely friends!!
Summer!! Summer, is almost here!! My most favourite time of the year!!
Barbecue time is here!!! I m so excited..
I have already come up with this.. Wait for it.. wait for it!! its Chicken Tandoori but with an amazingly delicious TWIST.. The meat is so moist and juicy and bursting with FLAVOURS…
Trust me this Afghani chicken tandoori or call it WHITE CHICKEN TANDOORI is absolutely yummy.
A little story about how I discovered this Afghani tandoori chicken..
The last time I was in MUMBAI (India), my sister wanted to treat me to some amazing tandoori dishes from a small restaurant near by our house. She had actually challenged me that I have not tasted anything like it before. So she ordered 2 types of tandoori for me to try. The original “chicken tandoori”, then there was this white/Dahi (curd) chicken tandoori and a yummy butter chicken and hot garlic naan.
Well she was absolutely right. The Afghani Chicken tandoori or the white chicken tandoori (as I call it) was a KILLER! It was out of the world. I have no words to describe how amazing it tasted. So mild yet so flavourful. It was just so good. I mean how can it be so delicious. So was the butter chicken and the chicken tandoori. But the white chicken tandoori really stood out from the rest.
As soon as I was back home, I was on a mission to recreate that dish. And here it is after so much alterations and knics knaks, I have finally have recreated it. The texture and the taste is very very close to that of the restaurant. And it will not be fair to not share this mind blowing recipe with my lovelies.
How to make tandoori chicken?
You won’t believe, but this tandoori chicken has minimal spices in it. I have mrinated the chicken twice here. Firstly with ginger garlic paste and lemon juice and salt. Then marinated with yogurt, kasoori methi (dried fenugreek leaves), cardamom powder and salt. I added an additional cream cheese to make it more rich which is totally optional or you can also replace it with plain cream as well. And finally a paste of cashew nuts and chillies for the slight mellowness and spiciness. Marinate over night and bbq or grill the next day.
So here it is my Afghani Style Chicken Tandoori (Dahi Chicken Tandoori). You must be wondering what is with the boiled eggs? Well, I have something with eggs and tandoori chicken. I love to pair it together.
I have made it in the oven but this is perfect for bbq. You, your family ur friends will ask for more. trust me it is so good.
If you wish to try Tandoori chicken or disheS made with tandoori chicken, here is the recipe of how to make Tandoori Chicken and the famous Butter Chicken.
Afghani Style Tandoori Chicken
- 1 kg Chicken (I used chicken legs)
- 1 1/2 tbsp Ginger-garlic paste
- 2 tbsp Lime/lemon juice
- Salt as per taste
- 1 1/2 cup Thick Yogurt (I used greek yogurt)
- 2-3 tbsp Kasoori methi (crushed into powder)
- 1 tsp Cardamom powder (freshly crushed)
- 1/4 cup Chopped coriander leaves
- 1/2 tsp pepper powder (white or black)
- 2 tbsp Cream cheese (optional)
- Oil for brushing
- Salad and chutney to serve
Ground to paste:
- 10-12 Cashewnuts soaked in warm water for 10-15 mins
- 2-3 Green Chilies
- Slash the chicken legs 3 to 4 times and then add the chicken in a large bowl.
- The first marination: Marinate the chicken with ginger garlic paste, lime juice and salt and refrigerate for an hour or 2.
- Meanwhile place the cashew nuts and chilies in a grinder and make a fine smooth paste.
- The second marination: Take out the chicken from the fridge an add yogurt, kasoori methi, cream cheese, freshly ground cardamom powder, pepper powder, coriander leaves and cashewnut-chili paste and massage the chicken with the marinade really well with hands. Now cover and chill overnight or at least for 8 hours.
- When ready to cook, preheat the grill to medium. For grill and baking in the oven check Notes**
- Place the chicken legs on a rack of a lined baking tray and brush it with oil. When the grill is hot add the baking tray and grill the chicken for 20-25 minutes turning 1s. The chicken should be nicely charred and cooked through.
- Serve it hot with lots of salad and mint chutney.
I hope you enjoy this delicious and juicy Afghani Style Tandoori Chicken as much as we do!