Dhonepata Murgi (Coriander Chicken recipe) is a delicious Bengali style chicken curry. Soft, succulent chicken cooked with fresh, fragrant coriander leaves and green chillies with minimum spices. This aromatic dhonepata kancha lonka murgi can be devoured with both rice and roti.
Finally, I am updating my old post Dhonepata kacha lonka murgi from 2014. Literally my first post on the blog. Amping it up with new pictures but the recipe remains the same. I have been still following the same recipe over all these years which have been passed down from my maa.
I remember making this delicious chicken recipe with fresh coriander leaves from my balcony garden. Oh the joy of making dishes with home grown vegetables or herbs is just unbeatable. That reminds me, it is almost the end of Feb. Really? Where did the time go?). So it’s almost time to sow some seeds.
Super excited! What about you??
Now, back to this dhonepata murgi. Dhonepata stands for coriander leaves and murgi stands for chicken in Bengali. This Bengali preparation is as simple as the name. It is made with minimum spices. So that the aroma and mild flavour of the coriander leaves shine through. Let’s check the ingredients out.
What ingredients are used to make dhonepata murgi?
- Chicken (I used chicken drumsticks)
- Coriander leaves (dhonepata)
- Green chillies
- Ginger garlic paste
- Lime juice
- Coriander powder
- Cumin powder
- Green Cardamom
- Bay leaves
- Salt &Sugar
- Oil (veg/sunflower/mustard)
How to make dhonepata murgi?
- Marinate the chicken with ginger-garlic paste, turmeric, yogurt, lime juice and salt. Make a thick paste with coriander leaves and green chillies.
- Heat oil and temper it with bay leaves and cardamoms.
- Add sliced onions and fry till golden brown.
- Toss in the marinated chicken and sauté till the it is no longer raw.
- Add tomato, coriander powder, cumin powder and keep on sauteing for 10 minutes.
- Finally add coriander paste along with 1/2 cup water and cook covered until chicken is cooked through.
- Squeeze some lime and mix. take it off the heat.
- Serve it hot with rice or roti.
I personally love to have mine with hot rice.
Here are few delicious Chicken curry recipes that you can try.
Dhonepata Murgi (Coriander Chicken Recipe)
Dhonepata Murgi | Bengali style Coriander Chicken
Dhonepata Murgi (Coriander Chicken)
- 800 gms Chicken (I use chicken drumstick)
- 1 1/2 tbsp Ginger-garlic paste
- 2 tbsp Yogurt
- 1 tbsp Lime juice
- 1/4 tsp Turmeric powder
- 1 tsp Salt
For coriander chicken curry
- 100-110 gms Coriander leaves
- 9-10 Green chillies (add according to your taste)**
- 3 large Onions (thinly sliced)
- 1 small Tomato
- 1 1/2 tsp Coriander powder
- 1 tsp Cumin powder
- 2 Bay Leaves
- 3-4 Green Cardamoms
- 3/4 tsp Sugar/sweetener
- Salt as per taste
- 5-6 tbsp Veg Oil/ Sunflower oil/ Mustard oil
- Few drops of lime juice juice
Marinate the chicken with ginger-garlic paste, turmeric powder, yogurt, lime juice and salt and keep it marinated for at least 30 minutes.
Meanwhile whiz together coriander & chillies along with very little cold water into a thick paste and keep it aside for later use.
Heat oil in a thick bottom pan, temper the oil with bay leaves and cardamom pods.
Then add the sliced onions and fry on medium-high heat until the onions turn soft and golden brown.
Add the marinated chicken pieces and sauté it with the onions on medium high heat. Sauté till chicken loses its raw colour and turns golden.
Add the chopped tomato, cumin powder and coriander powder mix well and continue cooking the chicken for another 10 minutes.
Now add the coriander paste and mix well continue cooking. When you see oil seeping out at the edges add about a half a cup of warm water. Mix well. Check for the seasoning at this point, add salt or sugar as per your taste.
Cover and cook the chicken on medium-low heat, stirring intermittently. When cooked and you find the gravy too thin, uncover the pot and reduce the gravy by cranking up the heat.
Finally squeeze some lime and give a mix. take it off the heat.
Serve it hot with rice or roti.
** I have not adding any red chilli powder in this curry, so I spiced it up with green chillies.bAdd green chillies according to your taste and the spiciness of the chillies.
I hope you enjoy this Dhonepata Kancha lonka Murgi as much as we do!
Stay Safe! Stay Positive!