Chicken Korma (Murgh Korma) is a shahi and rich Mughlai chicken curry. This lusciously creamy and succulent chicken korma recipe is prepared in ghee with yogurt and nuts paste, warm spices and crispy fried onion. Murgh korma is served with naan or roti, but can also be served with pulao.
Hope you are all doing well.
Sharing my first of chicken recipes of 2021. So it had to be something rich and delicious, authentic flavours from Northern India or Pakistan “Chicken Korma”. It is a Mughal influenced dish with a perfectly balanced gravy, mildly sweet, mildly spicy with soft and juicy chicken pieces.
“Chicken Korma recipe” or “Murgh Korma”
This Mughal influenced dish uses techniques common to Mughal cuisines, the use of nuts. The ground nuts (almonds and cashew nuts) help thicken sauces and gives a lush and shahi texture to chicken korma.
Any kind of korma curry has a mildly sweet taste to it. So instead of adding sugar, I achieved that by adding raisins paste to the korma curry.
Also the addition of crispy fired onions to the curry adds a fabulous texture and flavour to the
What are ingredients used in Murgh Korma?
This rich korma curry requires all basic day to day ingredients, except for kewra water and saffron. Now a days kewra water as well as saffron is easily available in superstores.
- Chicken (I suggest the use of Chicken with bones like thighs or legs or whole chicken)
- Ginger garlic paste
- Almond-cashew nut paste
- Raisins paste
- Spice powder (Chilli powder, kashmiri chilli powder, turmeric powder, coriander powder)
- whole spices (bay leaves, green &black cardamoms, cinnamon, cloves, peppercorn)
- Fresh garam masala (green cardamoms, cinnamon, cloves, peppercorns, Shahi jeera)
- Kewra essence
- Salt as per taste
Here are few Chicken Recipes that you can try.
Chicken Korma (Murgh Korma)
Chicken Korma | Murgh Korma
- large thick bottomed pan
- Large bowl
- mixer grinder
- 1 kg Chicken (Chicken with bones like thighs or legs or whole chicken)
- 1 1/2 tbsp Ginger garlic paste
- 2 tbsp Yogurt
- 1 tsp Chilli powder
- 1 tsp Kashmiri Chilli powder
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric pwd
- 1 1/2 tbsp Coriander powder
For the Curry
- 4-5 Onion thinly sliced
- 1 cup Yogurt whisked
- 2 Green chillies
- 2 Bay Leaves
- 4-5 Green Cardamoms
- 1 Black Cardamom
- 1 inch Cinnamon
- 5-6 Cloves
- 2-3 tsp Kewra water
- pinch of Saffron
- 5-6 tbsp Ghee / oil (you can use half oil and half ghee)
Ground to smooth paste
- 7-8 Cashew nuts soaked in hot water
- 7-8 Almonds soaked in hot water
- 1-2 tbsp Raisins soaked in hot water
Fresh Garam masala powder
- 2 Green Cardamom
- 3-4 Cloves
- 1/2 inch Cinnamon
- 1 tsp Shahi jeera
- 6 Black peppercorns
- 1/4 Nutmeg
- small piece of Mace
- Add all the ingredients listed under marination and mix everything well and keep it marinated for at least 30 mins. The longer the better.
- Now add the nuts and raisins in a mixer grinder and ground into a fine paste. keep it aside.
- Heat 4 tbsp of oil in a wide heavy bottomed pan on medium heat. Now add the onions and fry them on a steady heat stirring occasionally.
- Once the onions starts turning golden stir frequently or else it will burn from the bottom. When the onions turn lovely golden brown in colour drain and place it on a kitchen towel. Keep it aside and let it rest for some time.
- In the same pan add the rest of the oil and heat it on medium high heat. when hot temper it with bay leaves, cinnamon, green and black cardamoms, cloves and sauté until beautiful aroma rises.
- Now add the marinated chicken and fry it on medium heat for 7-8 minutes stirring frequently.
- Next reduce the heat and add the whisked yogurt and mix it well.
- Stir in the nut and raisin paste and green chillies and mix everything. Cover and cook for 8-10 minutes on medium low heat, stirring occasionally.
- Now add the fried onions in a mixer grinder and whizz it a few times. Do not make a paste just roughly ground it. (Keep away a tbsp of fried onion for garnishing later)
- After 8-10 minutes add in the roughly ground fried onions and add it to the chicken. Mix it well.
- Cover and cook for further 10 -12 minutes.
- Meanwhile in a pestle motor or mixer grinder add the garam masala ingredients and ground it to a fine powder.
- By now the chicken should be fully cooked. Add the freshly prepared garam masala powder along with saffron and kewra water and mix it well. cook for 1-2 minutes more tehn turn off the heat.
- Garnish with some nuts and fried onion and serve it hot with pulao or roti or naan.
I hope you enjoy this delicious Kolkata MUTTON BIRYANI as much as we do!
Stay Safe! Stay Positive!