Aloo Methi Baingan ki Sabzi is a simple and nutritious Indian side dish. A vegetable medley that combines stir fried potatoes and eggplants along with fresh fenugreek leaves tempered with garlic and cumin seeds. Aloo Methi Baingan is a delicious complement to dal and rice or roti.
Hope all of you are safe and sound. With covid-19 it is increasing becoming difficult to go out and grocery shop freely in any super store. Once a week or 2 is al we go out and get all the required supplies. Frozen veggies are coming handy now a days. So glad to have loaded my freezer with veggies, especially the Indian vegetables like methi or palak or okra or karela (bitter gourd).
Today, I am sharing a simple everyday vegetable side dish Aloo methi baingan. A simple and delicious mixed vegetable stir fry that is a lovely complement to dal and rice or roti or parathas.
This is a nourishing dish made with veggies like potatoes, eggplant and calcium and iron rich methi (fenugreek leaves). It uses minimal spices and yet it is extremely delicious. It has a slight tang from the tomatoes that I have used in this dish. I have also added a little crushed peanut in the end which adds a slight crunch to the methi baingan. It is an optional step, you can skip this step if you desire.
Se lets hop to the recipe for the detailed step by step recipe.
Here are few side dishes from the blog that you can try.
Aloo Methi Baingan ki Sabzi
Aloo Methi Baingan Sabzi
- large thick bottomed pan
- 2 medium Potatoes washed, peeled and cut into 2 cm cubes
- 1 medium Brinjal/eggplant washed and cut into into 3-4 cm cubes
- 2 1/2- 3 cups Methi leaves / fenugreek leaves washed and chopped
- 1 small Onion chopped
- 2-3 large Garlic pods chopped
- 2 medium Tomatoes chopped
- 2 green chillies chopped
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp Chilli powder
- 1 tsp Cumin seeds/Jeera
- 2 Dried red chillies
- Salt (as per taste)
- 3 tbsp Veg Oil/ Sunflower oil
- 1 tbsp Peanuts (optional) roasted and crushed roughly i
- Heat oil in a thick bottomed pan/kadhai on medium high heat. When hot temper it with cumin seeds and dried red chillies.
- When the seed splatter add in the chopped garlic and onions and saute until they turn slight brown.
- Now add the potatoes and sauté for 3-4 minutes.
- Toss in the baingan/eggplant along with green chillies and mix it well with the potatoes.
- Next stir in the methi leaves and tomatoes along with turmeric powder, chilli powder and salt. Mix everything well.
- Cover and cook for 7-8 minutes on medium heat or until the potatoes and eggplants are cooked through, stirring occasionally.
- Sprinkle with some peanuts (optional) and serve it hot with some roti or rice.
I hope you enjoy this delicious Aloo Methi Baingan Sabzi as much as we do!