Grilled Steak Sandwich with Gorgonzola and Mozzarella Cheese
Today’s recipe is Grilled Steak Sandwich Layered with Gorgonzola and Mozzarella Cheese and Créme fraîche, Horseradish & Chives dressing. You can’t really call it a recipe; just few delicious ingredients smothered and layered together in your choice of bread. Its got meat, its got 2 types of cheese and a creamy dressing. Whats not to love? 🙂
Let’s grill and enjoy this weekend of summer! Here’s a delicious hubby-favourite to add to your grilling line up. Like all grilled cheese sandwiches this one is pretty easy to make. This sandwich has got all my favourite flavours in it.
The resulting sandwich delivers on every conceivable level. There is just something magical about the combination of tender steak, slightly sweet and spicy caramelised onion-chilli, créme fraîche – horseradish dressing and creamy gorgonzola and mozzarella cheese with some salad leaves wrapped in bread! I like to grill or toast my sandwiches on a pan to melt the cheese and give the bread a nice and crispy texture. I paired this sandwich with chilli butter corn on the cob. I used thick sliced wholewheat bread. This sandwich will taste absolutely delicious with sour dough bread or bloomers bread; I couldn’t get hold of any neither had time to bake one. 🙁
- 200-250 grams Steaks (Rump, Sirloin, Flank)
- 8 slices bread ( I used thick cut Wholewheat bread)
- 2 onions, sliced
- 2 Red chillies, deseeded and thinly sliced
- 3-4 tablespoon Créme fraîche
- 3-4 tablespoon Horseradish
- 1 tablespoon Chives, chopped
- 250 grams Mozzarella
- 100 grams Gorgonzola
- mixed leaves salad( rocket, spinach, watercress)
- salt and pepper as per taste
- 2 tablespoon Olive oil
- In a medium sauté pan, heat olive oil over medium-high heat. Add onions and red chillies and sauté until they are softened and a little caramelised. Add a little salt and sugar if desired. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Rub the steak with salt and pepper.
- Oil the barbecue before starting. You can also grill the steak on a health grill.
- Barbecue the steak for 3-4 mins per side or cook to your liking. leave it to rest for 4-5 minutes.
- Mix together créme fraîche, horseradish and chives and add a pinch of pepper.
- Smother one side of the bread with créme fraîche- horseradish dressing. Then layer the steak and mozzarella over it. Top with gorgonzola, caramelised onion-chilli and salad leaves. Now set the second slice of bread on the sandwich.
- Now heat a flat-bottomed pan and place the sandwich.. The cheese will begin to melt in a few minutes. Watch that the base bread doesn’t burn during the cheese-melting phase. When the bread is crisp and golden, flip the sandwich to brown the other side and then serve with corn on the cob or some fries..
The sandwiches didn’t photograph well; no actually it was a disaster… and I am not sorry about it.. 😀 .. because it tasted so gooood, that I couldn’t resist myself from devouring on these sandwiches instead of taking photographs. I couldn’t resist taking a bite even before I actually managed to take the photograph and had to finish munching before having the patience to upload the pictures and recipe.
Hope you enjoy this delicious Grilled Steak Sandwich. 🙂