Bandhakopir Tarkari / Bandhakopir Ghonto is a simple yet delicious niramish Bengali Dry Cabbage recipe. Bandhakophir Torkari is made with cabbage, peas, potatoes and flavoured with Bengali garam masala and ghee. A delicious Bengali comfort food.
Bandhakopi is one of my favourite vegetable and so is cauliflower. But after my husband was diagnosed with thyroid, we literally stopped eating them. I don’t like to cook it just for myself. So whenever my parents visit me I happily make these vegetables and thoroughly enjoy it.
Bengalis’ prepare many variations of cabbage dishes. Bandhakopi with shrimps . Cabbage Curry with Fish Head (Macher matha diye Bandhakopir Tarkari). Dim diye Bandhakopir tarkari. All this is making me nostalgic.
Bandhakopir / Cabbage Science…
Some people complain that this vegetable causes them Gas. One way you can reduce it is by overcooking the cabbage. It is one of the best ways I know to rob vegetables of their nutrient benefits. It includes sulfur-related benefits.
I recommend about five minutes (at most) for the steaming or “Healthy Sautéing” of raw cabbage. This process does not deprive the cabbage of any flavour.
Simply steam the cabbage and then cook it with potatoes and peas. And some whole aromatic Indian spices and masalas.
Ingredients used in Bandhakopir Tarkari.
- Tomato, chopped
- Ginger, grated
- green chillies sliced
- Bay leaf
- Red dry chilli, broken
- Cumin seeds
- Whole spices (Green cardamom, Cloves, Cinnamon stick)
- Spice powder (Turmeric powder, Cumin , Coriander , Red chilli powder)
- 1 tsp Sugar
- Salt as required
- Oil/ Mustard oil/ Ghee
- Bengali Garam masala powder
This Bengali cabbage curry is absolutely easy to prepare, with very little ingredients. Add a dollop of ghee and Bengali garam masala in the end. And transform this dish into something so amazing. I thoroughly enjoy bandhakopir torkari / ghonto with triangle paratha. Yumm!!
Have this Bandhakopir Torkari (Bengali Cabbage recipe) with these Bengali Dal.
Here are some delicious tarkari/ ghonto recipes that you can try.
Bengali Bandhakopir Ghonto / Tarkari recipe
Bangali Bandhakopir Tarkari | Bandhakopir Ghonto
- large thick bottomed pan/ large Kadhai
- 1 medium Cabbage
- 2 medium Potatoes
- 3/4 cup Peas
- 1 Tomato, chopped
- 1 inch Ginger, grated
- 2 green chillies sliced
- 1-2 Bay leaf
- 2 Red dry chilli, broken
- 1 tsp Cumin seeds
- 2-3 Green cardamom
- 3 Cloves
- 1 inch Cinnamon stick
- 1 tsp Turmeric powder
- 1 1/2 tsp Cumin powder
- 1/2 tsp Coriander powder
- 1 tsp Red chilli powder
- 1 tsp Sugar
- Salt as required
- 4-5 tbsp Oil/ Mustard oil/ Ghee
- 1 tsp Bangali Garam masala powder
- 1 tsp Ghee
- Wash and shred the cabbage into very thin strips.
- Wash, peel and cut the potatoes into large chunks(I like my potato pieces big as it soaks up all the flavours), sprinkle it with little salt and turmeric.
- In a heavy bottom pan heat 2 tbsp of oil, when hot enough add in the potatoes pieces and fry for few minutes till it turns golden brown. Remove with slotted spoon and keep it aside.
- Add the remaining oil to the pan. When hot, add the garam masala (for more flavour crush roughly the garam masala in a pestle and mortar) when it starts sizzling and you get the beautiful aroma of the spices add bay leaf, dried red chillies and cumin seeds.
- When the cumin seeds starts spluttering add the grated ginger, green chillies, tomato, and all the masala powders and fry for few minutes until tomato becomes soft and mushy and the oil separates from the sides.
- Now add the shredded cabbage and green peas and salt and toss everything together and cook on medium heat for 4-5 minutes.
- Add the fried potatoes and mix everything well. Now add half cup of water, cover and cook on low to medium heat for 20-25 minutes tossing frequently every few minutes.
- Now add the sugar and mix everything well.
- Continue cooking till all of the water is dried out and the potatoes and cabbage pieces are cooked. The cabbage pieces might not appear as whole, they will be quite mushed.
- Sprinkle the bengali garam masala and the ghee in it and mix everything.
- Serve warm with roti or rices as a side.
Hope you enjoy Bandhakopir ghonto / Torkari (Cabbage with potatoes and green peas).
If you have tried this recipe, I would love to see your wonderful creation. simply click a picture and tag me @gastronomicbong or #gastronomicbong on Instagram.
Stay Safe! Stay Positive!