Mulo Diye Matar Dal (Yellow Split Pea dal with Radish) is a delicious lentil soup made with sweet, crisp white radish. This luscious Bengali dal flavoured with Indian 5 Spice (panch phoron) and dried red chillies is enjoyed with steaming hot rice or Indian flat bread.
Hello my lovely friends!
Today, I am going to share a very simple yet delicious mulo diye matar dal made with beautiful white radish. Mulo as we call in Bengali or mooli in Hindi is a a delicious, sweet, crispy and slightly pungent root vegetable. Some people don’t like radish because of its pungency (one of them used to be my husband). But cmon pungency determines radishes. Isn’t it!! It is eaten world wide as a salad or as a sabji too.
Two days back I had uploaded a picture of this Mulo diye Matar dal on instagram and I had been bombarded with questions and requests to share the recipe. I was surprised to know that people never used mooli in dals before. I guess its a Bengali thing then. Hmmm..
Last week I happen to buy 2 large white fresh radish from an Indian store. I prepared this mulo diye matar dal (Yellow Split Pea dal with Radish). Another fun mooli recipe is coming your way soon. So stay tuned!
I used Yellow split pea (matar dal) to make this dal. This is how my mom prepares the dal. Yes, sharing my mums recipe today. You can use moong dal as well. But I would suggest u make it with yellow split pea because yellow split pea and radish go really well together.
Mulo Diye Matar Dal (Yellow Split Pea dal with Radish)
- 3/4 cup Yellow split pea (motor dal) washed
- 1 medium sized Radish (mooli/mulo) washed, peeled and cut into large cubes
- 1 medium tomato chopped
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric powder
- 1/2 inch Fresh ginger grated
- 2-3 Green chillies
- 1/2 tsp Sugar
- Salt as per taste
- handful of fresh coriander chopped
- Water as needed
- 1 tbsp Oil (veg/sunflower)
- 2 dried red chilli dried red chilli
- 1 tsp Indian 5 spice (Panch phoron)
- In a pressure cooker add the washed yellow split pea, chopped tomato, green chillies, ginger, turmeric powder, salt, sugar and 3 cups of water and pressure cook for 6 to 7 whistles or the dal is almost 80 percent done.
- Now add the radish in the dal and pressure cook it for 2-3 more whistles until the radish and the dal is cooked well.
- To make the tarka/tempering heat a tbsp of oil in a small pan and temper the oil with dried red chillies and fry for few seconds, then add the Indian 5 spice (ranch phoron) and let it splutter.
- Slowly pour the tempering/ tarka over the dal. stir everything well and let the dal boil for another 5-6 mins.
- Garnish the dal with lots of freshly chopped coriander leaves.
- Serve it with hot steamed rice or Indian flat bread.
Serve this dal hot with rice and salad. Hope you enjoy this Mulo Diye Matar Dal (Yellow Split Pea dal with Radish) as much as we do!