Falafel Scotch Eggs is a delicious Middle Eastern vegetarian twist of our very own English scotch eggs. Definitely the best of two worlds. Eggs enclosed in flavourful and herby falafel and then deep fried until golden brown makes perfect snacks for entertaining guests or picnics.
Hello my lovely friends!!
Hope you and your loved ones are healthy and safe!!
Today post was long overdue. Almost one year. Yikes!!!
I have had the pleasure of eating this delicious Falafel Scotch eggs on my vacation last year in Egypt. These were just out of the world amazing. Falafels and eggs both I love, and these two together were the best ever combo for me. Had it almost every other day I was there.
Forgive me for depriving you of this Middle Eastern deliciousness this long just because of me procrastinating.
Finally here it is on the blog just for you guys. As I had mentioned earlier in my Egyptian Falafel (Ta’ameya) post that the falafels I have had in Egypt were quite different from the regular ones we usually eat here. It is more herby and fluffy and it is made with Fava beans instead of chickpeas.
I have made the falafel base with fava beans here, but chickpeas too yields amazing results. Dried chickpeas recommended though not the canned ones. Just follow the same procedure as given below.
Here are few recipe that you can try.
Falafel Scotch Eggs
Falafel Scotch Eggs
- deep frying pan
- mixer grinder
- Large bowl
- Sauce pan
- 5-6 Eggs (free range) hard boiled and peeled
- 1 cup Dried split Fava beans or Dried Chickpeas washed and soaked overnight (I have used Fava beans)
- 1 small Onion roughly chopped
- 2-3 small Garlic cloves roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup Coriander leaves washed and roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup Parsley washed and roughly chopped optional
- 3-4 Spring onions/scallions washed and roughly chopped
- 1 1/2 tsp Coriander powder
- 1 tsp Cumin powder
- 1/4 tsp Baking soda
- Pepper as per taste
- Salt to taste
- Veg Oil/sunflower oil for deep frying
- Wash and soak the dried chickpeas or split fava beans overnight or at least 6-8 hours. Drain the chickpea fava beans and keep it aside in a large bowl.
- Add chopped onion, coriander, parsley, spring onions, garlic, coriander powder, cumin powder to the fava beans and mix every thing well with a spoon.
- Now tip in the mixture in a food processor and pulse it repeatedly, scrap it from the sides and pulse again until you get a fairly smooth dough but not a fine paste. (try making a small ball or patty if it holds up perfectly and does not fall apart, the dough is ready).
- Heat oil in a large pan on medium heat around 350 F.
- Remove the mixture in a bowl. Now add salt and pepper and baking soda and mix it well.
- Now divide the mixture into 5 or 6. Then slowly shape them into patty. If you're finding the mixture is too moist, stir in a teaspoon of breadcrumbs or flour and test again.
- Take one patty and flatten it out to 5-6 mm thickness. Place the egg in the centre of the patty and slowly enclose the egg in the falafel. Make sure the entire egg is covered and there are no cracks in them.
- Continue with the same process with the rest of the eggs.
- Deep fry the falafel eggs in batches for 3-4 minutes till crisp and golden. Remove and drain on paper towel.
- Serve them hot or cold with some ketchup or tahini sauce.
I hope you enjoy this Falafel Scotch Eggs as much as we do!
Stay Safe!! Stay Healthy!!!