Today’s recipe is Persian Salad-e-Olivieh with Taftoon Bread. I am too obsessed with Persian cuisine.. Why not?! its just so amazing.. The kebabs, different kind of salads, oh and the bread.. Just mind blowing..The Persian cuisine uses less spice and yet its unbelievably delicious.
The first time we were taken to a Persian restaurant by a friend and I thank her for that every time we meet. Well now its one of our favourite and regular stops. So where were we.. hmm first visit.. we were completely clueless about everything in the menu. So as per our friend’s suggestion we ordered a mixed platter along with taftoon bread as starters and lamb kebabs (also known as Koobideh Kebab) as mains along with their amazing Mint tea. Lets talk about the salad today. The next post will talk about the Persian Kebabs. 😀
So this was the mixed platter starter or appetizer.. How amazing does that look?! Well it tastes even better.. This plate is loaded with 4 different kind of starters Salad-e-oliveh, Hummous, Baba Ganoush and Kashke Bademjan. It was a plate full of awesomeness.. Sorry I can’t provide with the picture of the taftoon bread, as soon as the bread arrived we dug in.. OMG it was so so good… everything was so flavourful and delicious. The freshly prepared taftoon bread was very thin and light as a air . Loved each and every bite of it.. 😀
I am completely and totally in love with the salad.. It was love at first bite. so I tried to recreate the salad at home and trust me it is as awesome as the one we had in the restaurant. This salad is loaded with cooked and chopped potatoes, chicken, eggs, carrots, peas and dill pickle with a dressing of mayo, mustard, lemon juice and olive oil. The dill pickle gives a lovely sour and tangy flavour to this salad. Each and every flavour blends perfectly well with each other.
This can be served as an appetiser along with taftoon bread or with french baguettes.
Well I have said enough.. Lets hop on to the recipe now.. Bon Appetite!! 😀
- 2 large Potatoes, cooked and finely chopped
- 2 Eggs, hard boiled and finely chopped
- 1 large Chicken breast, cooked and finely chopped
- 1 large carrot, cooked and finely chopped
- 1/2 cups peas
- 1/2 cup Dill pickles, finely chopped
- 3/4 cup Mayonnaise
- 2 tsp Mustard
- 2 tablespoon Olive oil
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- salt & pepper
- 1 cup All purpose flour
- 2/3 cup Wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon active dry yeast
- 2 teaspoon sugar
- 2 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 cup lukewarm Water
- In a large bowl place the potatoes, chicken eggs, carrot, peas and dill pickle along with some salt and pepper and mix everything together.
- In a separate bowl, to prepare the dressing mix together the mayo, mustard, olive oil and lemon juice.
- Now pour the dressing over the salad and mix everything thoroughly. Check the seasoning.
- Plate it up and drizzle with some olive oil and garnish it with olives.
- In a large bowl, pour the lukewarm water, yeast, salt and sugar and mix it properly with a spatula and keep it covered for 5- 10 mins to proof the yeast.
- Meanwhile mix both the flour.
- After 5-10 mins gradually add the flour in the water-yeast mixture stirring constantly with the spatula. add more flour it required.
- Stir it with the spatula until everything comes together. ( it is going to be soft and sticky)
- Now sprinkle a clean surface with some flour and tip the dough on it. Dust your hands with some flour and continue kneading for 5-7 mins.
- Dust the bowl with some flour and place the dough in it and cover it with a plastic wrap and place it in a warm place. Let it rise for an hour.
- Heat a griddle or a pancake pan over medium to high heat.
- Take a golf sized ball of dough and roll it out on a floured surface using a rolling pin.
- Roll out as thin as possible. Sprinkle it with some nigella seeds and sesame seeds and roll the rolling pin on it. prick the rolled out dough with a fork. Pricking holes in the rolled-out dough allows the steam to escape.
- Now place the bread on the griddle, flip the bread after a minute let it cook for a minute on the other side.
- Remove from the heat and serve it warm with Salad-e-Olivieh
Hope you enjoy this amazing Salad-e-oliveh and the Taftoon Bread. Have a Fabulous Weekend!! 😀
Love Potato salad? You will like my Potato Salad with Chicken, Apple and Pineapple.