Kacha Aamer Mishti Achar – Sweet Raw Mango Pickle is a Bengali style tok, jhal aar mishti kacha aamer achar. Sweet, spicy and tangy raw mango pickle, requires few ingredients to prepare, no sun-drying the mangoes and it can be prepared in a jiffy.
Yay! I am back.. Finally, my post is up.
You cannot imagine how happy I am to be back in this food blogging world. I have missed it so soo much. Its almost 3 years since I last posted this Banana-coconut fritters (Kolar bora).
Its been an exciting 3 years as we turned 2+1. I am now a mother to a chirpy little boy who turned 1 this May. As you can imagine life has certainly turned upside down as nothing can prepare you for this change.
I am now innovating my culinary skills for my little angel so that life becomes just a little easier while I feed my little one. Hope this new extension will bring some new innovation in my cooking.
After a three year hiatus, I am back with a tok mishti jhal kacha aamer achar (sweet, spicy and tangy raw mango pickle) recipe. Its one of the all time favourite pickle in most of bengali households. Allthough its not the season for raw mangoes any more but as soon as I laid my eyes on these kachi kairi(raw mango)in an Indian store few days back, I had to buy these green tangy beauties. Kacha aam is a very versatile fruit when it comes to cooking.
Bengalis make variety of dishes with raw mangoes, be it aam er dal(dal made with raw mangoes), aam er chatni(mango chutney), aam kasundi or aam er achar (mango pickle) and so on…
My maa makes really yummy aamer mishit achar.
So every time we return from India this is the one thing that gets back with us without fail. Mom prepares it and stores it is a nice big jar just for us. I always thought making achar would be quite complicated and time consuming with all the sun drying process. But I was amazed that this amer achar doesn’t require sun-drying and can be prepared with in half n hour to 40 mins. Its is so easy-peasy to prepare and oh so delicious. Its got the perfect balance of sweet, spicy and tangy flavours at the same time. Just tickles your tastebuds every time you relish it.
When Maa was here a month back and luckily we managed to find raw mangoes, this is the one thing that came into my mind. I had to learn how it is made and share this amazing Kacha Aamer Mishti Achar – Sweet Raw Mango Pickle recipe it with you guys.
So why wait, lets jump in and prepare this Kacha Aamer Mishti Achar – Sweet Raw Mango Pickle. Just one more thing to keep in mind, always store this pickle in a dried, sterilised glass bottle. And if you are making a bigger batch please do store it in the fridge to enjoy if for a longer period of time.
- Raw mangoes : 1 kg
- Granulated Sugar : 2 cups (you can increase or decrease according to your taste)
- Dried Red chillies : 3-4
- Panch phoron (Indian five spice) : 1 tsp each of kalonji (onion seeds) + fennel seeds + mustard seeds + cumin seeds + ½ tsp methi seeds
- Salt : 1 tsp
- 0il : 1 tsp
- Firstly wash and dry the raw mangoes.
- Peel the raw mango and cut them into thin long slices.
- In a heavy bottomed pan dry roast the panch phoron and the dried red chillies for few minutes.
- Cool it down and grind it coarsely.
- Heat oil in a pan and add the mangoes to it. Add the salt and stir fry, cover and cook till its 50% soft.
- Now add the sugar to the mangoes and continue cooking the mangoes in the sugar syrup on medium heat till they are soft and fully cooked.
- Lastly sprinkle the panch phoron and red chilli powder and mix well.
- Remove from heat and let it cool completely before storing.
- Store in clean, dry and air tight glass bottle.
- I would suggest you enjoy eating this sweet mango pickle after a day or two of preparing so that all the spices, the mangoes everything mingle together well.
- If you are planning to make a big batch of this pickle then please do store it away in the fridge as it may not sustain in humid weather.