Bramley Apple Chutney with Indian 5 Spice, is a wonderful amalgam of varied tastes, sweet, sour and tangy with a hint of spice. Bramley apple chutney with an Indian twist is extremely easy to make and can be whipped up under 30 minutes. This Indian style apple chutney makes a perfectly delicious homemade edible Christmas gift for your friends and family.
Bengali’s love their fish as much as they love their chutney. Well, that is true in case of my husband. He loves his chutneys. In fact a Bengali meal, Bengali party, occasion, ceremony is considered incomplete without chutney in the end. Bengali Chutney is made with made with different kind of fruits or vegetables like tomatoes, mangoes, papaya, apples, plums, dried fruits, well the list goes on. Bengali chutney is served as a last condiment to sweeten your pallet along with papads.
The most popular is the tomato chutney as tomatoes are available all year around. Here is the recipe of the delicious Tomato and Date Chutney which I had shared earlier. But my all time favourite chutney is raw mango chutney. Here is the recipe of the Sweet Raw Mango Chutney.
Bramley Apple Chutney with Indian 5 spice..
Why did I use bramley apple?? Bramley apples are naturally tart fruit. Hence, they are cooked and eaten. Its sourness beautifully balances the sweet and sour flavours of this chutney and you do not need to add any external souring ingredient to this chutney.
If bramley apple is not easily available, use the regular apples to make this chutney just add 3 to 4 tablespoon of lime juice to impart the sourness or tartness required for this dish.
Adding dried red chilli gives a slight hint of spiciness to this bengali style apple chutney.
And now the Indian twist. Indian 5 spice, they are roasted and roughly crushed in a pestle motor and these spices are added in the end. This Indian 5 spice isn’t overpowering at all. It just imparts amazing smokey flavour to this chutney.
Trust me this chutney is very delicious, its an absolute flavour-bomb which will strike all your senses.
Perfect as a side on your cheese board, on your burger or sandwiches or with your meal. This Bramley Apple Chutney with Indian 5 spice is just PERFECT!!
This apple chutney is super simple and easy to make. It is hassle free to make and can be whipped up under 30 minutes. Isn’t this great!
Christmas is just around the corner. Are you are still struggling with your Christmas gifts? Then here is a great idea for you. Its quick, its easy and its cheap!!
What are you waiting for?! Treat your friends and family with this delicious homemade Bramley Apple Chutney!!
Bramley Apple with Indian 5 Spice | How to make Apple Chutney | Indian style apple chutney
- 4 Bramley apples
- 1 cup Granulated sugar (adjust according to your taste and according to the tartness of the apples)
- 2 inch Cinnamon sticks
- 1-2 Dried red Chilli
- 1 tsp Fennel seeds
- 1/4 cup Raisins
- 1/2 cup Water
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp oil
Indian 5 Spice mixture (To Roast and Ground)
- 1/4 tsp Cumin seeds
- 1/4 tsp Mustard seeds
- 1/4 tsp Nigella seeds
- 1/4 tsp Fenugreek seeds
- 1/4 tsp Fennel seeds
- First you have to roast the Indian 5 spice mixture, and to do that you have to place the spices in a small pan on medium heat, tossing and stirring them frequently around 1 to 2 minutes until the begin to smell toasty and fragrant. Remove from the pan and set then aside. let it cool for few minutes then crush these toasted spices in a pestle and motor.
- Wash the bramley apples then peel, core and chop finely.
- Heat a tsp of oil in a deep bottom pan on medium heat, once hot add 2 dried red chilles broken and fennel seeds and cinnamon.
- Once they start to sizzle add the chopped apples, salt and 1/2 cup of water. stir everything well then cover and let it simmer.
- After few minutes, when the apples becomes tender add in the sugar and raisins and continue to cook on medium heat until the chutney is thickened.
- In the end add in the roasted and crushed Indian 5 spice to the apple chutney and mix everything well and take it off the heat.
- Once its cooled down store it in glass bottles and refrigerate.