French Socca With Tomatoes and Jalapeños
Socca or Farinata are brilliant crepe like Chickpea flour pancake. This is a regional speciality of Nice, France. Socca is served as an appetiser or as a meal with some fresh salad.. Perfect for entertaining. And an added bonus its gluten free and dairy free… 🙂
Socca!! I am OBSESSED!! It is just so good and so versatile and extremely easy to make. Its nutritious and tastes absolutely delicious.. Look how amazing it looks.. Crispy and browned on the edges, nice and soft on the inside.. It is just great.. simply cut it into wedges and enjoy it as an appetiser .. 🙂
This delicious crepe or pancake is a famous street food of Nice, France. It is prepared on large cast iron pans over a coal or wood fire.. but it can be easily made at home in hot hot oven in a cast iron pan or pizza pan.. 🙂
Socca can be made as thin as a pancake or a crepe but I made mine on the thicker side so that it holds up the shape and all the lovely ingredients in there..
And peeps.. you know what this Socca turns out to be a great pizza base too… A simple and delicious, gluten-free chickpea crust pizza. How amazing is that!!? When the socca is cooked, just take it out of the oven, top it up your desired pizza toppings and place it back in the oven. Hmmm delicious.. 🙂 I will be posting a socca pizza recipe soon.. so just watch out for it.. 🙂
In India, there is a similar kinda preparation of pancakes with chickpea flour. Its called as an Indian vegetarian Omelet or Besan Cheela. These pancakes are prepared with with lots of vegetables and served as a breakfast or an evening snack with green coriander chutney.
Originally Socca is made by mixing may nutty chickpea flour, water, olive oil and some salt and pepper to form a batter and then it is baked in a hot oven.
This simplest form of socca tastes so delicious… But I wanted something more.. something spicy and tangy..
So I livened it up with some herbs, spices and other ingredients. In this recipe the socca is loaded with onions, jalapeños, coriander, tomatoes and plenty of salt and pepper. I like to serve it as an a light meal with some Spicy Scrambles Eggs and fresh salad. YUMMM!!
You can also stuff it with cheese, some spicy sausage or herbs like rosemary.. it will never stop to impress you.. 🙂
- 1 1/2 cups Gram Flour
- 2 medium Tomatoes, finely chopped
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2-3 jalapeno, chopped
- Bunch of Coriander/Parsley, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger
- 1 cup water + 2 tbsp
- 2-3 tablespoon olive oil
- salt and pepper
- Sift the gram flour to get rid of the lumps.
- Toss in the chopped onions, jalapeños, ginger and coriander and mix. Stir in the salt and pepper.
- Add in the water a little at a time whisking continuously until you get a smooth batter.
- Now toss in the chopped tomatoes and and give a through mix.
- Let it stand for minimum 30 minutes to as much as 12 hours to absorb all the flavours.
- Preheat oven to 250 degree Celsius. Now place a 10 inch or 12 inch cast iron pan or equivalent baking dish in the oven for 5-10 minutes in the oven.*
- Carefully remove the pan and add 1-2 tablespoon olive oil swirl around in the pan to coat the base and the sides of the pan. Return the pan to the oven for a another 4-5 minutes to heat up the oil.
- Now remove the pan from the oven and pour the prepared batter (whisk it before pouring it in the heated pan).
- Return the pan to the oven and bake for another 20 minutes. It should be cooked in the middle and crisp around the edges.
- Carefully remove the pan from the oven then brush the socca with a little olive oil. Lift the socca from the pan. Cut it into wedges serve immediately with some fresh salad and some spicy scrambled eggs.
- * I used a 10 inch cast iron pan to make a thick Socca. You can use two 9 inch cast iron pan or equivalent baking pans to make 2 thin socca.
Hope you enjoy this brilliant Gluten free French Socca with Tomatoes and Jalapenos. 🙂
Serve this French Socca with Spicy Scrambled Eggs