Oriental Meatball Sliders with Kimchi Slaw and Hoisin Mayonnaise
Today’s recipe Oriental Meatball Sliders with Kimchi Slaw and Hoisin Mayonnaise.
Hi all, hope everyone’s warming up / cooling down for the weekend. 🙂
Usually my husbands contribution to this blog is limited to filling his stomach and than coming up with a few responses on the relevant recipes but this time something happened he liked it so much that he snatched the laptop from me and told that he would like to express his own feelings about the dish in order to be succinct about flavours and his experience while eating the dish. Well in his own words than here we go…..
Well, I had a horrible long day at work and had only had a nibble for lunch and was famished and was as usual pottering around the kitchen for a bite to grab when suddenly wifey turned around and told me go have a seat and I will get something out for you; “Music to my ears and a rumbling tummy” trust me however I wasn’t expecting anything like this though.
Suddenly she got these beautiful looking round colourful things that looked like mini burgers from the distance and smelt absolutely amazing. So without further adieu I just took my first bite into the sliders and …. Awww my god that felt amazing flavours dancing all over my tongue it was tangy, sweet , salty and the meatballs tasted amazing. If I don’t talk about the buns I would be doing a mammoth injustice they where the most soft and fluffy piece of bread I had ever tasted. I can keep on writing about the flavours but I wont, I would just say if you want to score some browny points with your partner this would be a perfect dish. Thanks wifey for the amazing flavours keep em coming 🙂 Muuuah.
Awww… thank you so much baby…. so now you know how utterly delicious these sliders are…
I am left with nothing much to say just that these are amazing little burgers filled with sticky sweet and savoury meatballs topped with hoisin mayo and kimchi slaw which is sweet & spicy, crunchy and vinegary, a great accompaniment to the meatballs; and and if you have all the ingredients on hand, these can be prepared within half an hour.. 😀
So lets head straight to the recipe of these delicious and oh-so-easy oriental meatballs sliders.
- 250 grams minced lamb/ beef/pork
- 1 slice stale bread, crusts removed and whizzed
- 1 clove garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon grated ginger
- 5 scallions, white and green part minced
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 teaspoon oil for frying
- salt and pepper as per taste
- 1 Tablespoon Chili bean paste
- 1 1/2 teaspoon Soy Sauce
- 2 Tablespoons Sesame Oil
- 1 Tablespoon Honey
- 1/2 Red cabbage/ napa cabbage, shredded
- 1 large carrot, peeled and shredded
- 1/2 cucumber, shredded
- 1 clove garlic, grated
- 1 teaspoon ginger, grated
- 5-6 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon chili bean paste
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoon Hoisin sauce
- 4 tablespoon Mayonnaise
- 11/2 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 teaspoon chilli sauce
- 1/2 tsp sesame oil
- 12 slider buns or bread rolls ( I used homemade slider buns [recipe coming soon])
- Add the minced meat, breadcrumbs, minced scallions (whites and green), garlic, ginger, egg, salt and pepper to the bowl, mix until combined. Gently form into 12 golf ball-size meatballs.
- To make the Kimchi slaw; Place the shredded cabbage, cucumber, and carrot and place in a bowl. Add the minced garlic, grated ginger and chilli bean paste, vinegar, sugar and salt. Mix everything well and keep aside.
- To make the hoisin-mayo sauce; Mix the hoisin sauce, mayonnaise, 11/2 tablespoons lime juice, the chilli sauce and sesame oil in a bowl. Cover and keep it aside until ready to serve.
- Now heat a pan with a small amount of oil, cook the meatballs to brown on all sides. Meanwhile, mix the sauce ingredients in a bowl.
- When the meatballs are nicely browned. Pour in the sauce and mix well. Simmer until the meatballs are nicely coated with a sticky sauce and fully cooked through.
- Now assemble the slider with a meatball, hoisin mayo and a nice amount of the pickled slaw and serve.
- If you can not get hold of Chilli bean paste, you can substitute it Chilli sauce.
I hope you enjoy this recipe.. Have a lovely weekend ahead. 😀