Thai Chicken Fried Rice With Homemade Thai Curry Paste is a delicious and fragrant fried rice, beautifully flavoured with Thai sauces and homemade Thai curry paste and can be made in a jiffy. Perfect weeknight wholesome meal!
Hubby and I are major rice dish lovers. So I have to constantly look for ways to innovate with existing recipes and make them taste different. This is how this Thai Chicken fried rice was born. Thai spices always inspire me.
Few days back I was watching a Vietnamese Cookery show I was intrigued. So intrigued that soon after the show I knew I have to recreate this dish.
They used a large stone pestle and mortar to crush the lemon grass, chillies, ginger, garlic and coriander. Apparently crushing all these ingredients in stone pestle and mortar give more flavour than blending it in a mixer.
So I made this fried rice with my Homemade Thai curry paste. This curry paste is so delicious and so fragrant i am just looking for ways to incorporate this into my dishes. It is super easy and simple to make and has more flavour and taste than that of any store bought version. You can double or triple the recipe and store it in an airtight container and refrigerate it for almost 3 weeks or freeze it for later use.
To make this Thai curry paste:
I have blended together lemongrass, ginger, garlic, green chillies, coriander stalks and roots (It has more intense flavour than that of the leaves), zest and juice of a lime, kaffir lime leaves( don’t worry if you can’t get hold of kaffir lime leaves just use zest of one more lime), fish sauce, salt, sugar into a fine paste(you can also use a stone pestle and mortar to crush everything together, but who has the time or call me lazy)
I sautéd this paste in 2 tablespoons of oil in a pan, stirring constantly (making sure not to burn the paste) then I added thick coconut milk and continued to sauté. Adding coconut milk gives an amazing flavour and a creamy texture to the paste. Sauté for 2-3 minutes and remove from the heat and cool. you can use this to make delicious Chicken thai curry or this super yummy and fragrant Thai Chicken Fried Rice.
- 4 cups Rice, long grain rice or jasmine rice
- 250 grams Chicken, Cut into bite sized pieces
- 150 grams Prawns, shelled and deveined (optional)
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 1 green pepper, thinly sliced
- 100 grams beans, cut into medium sized strips
- 2-3 red chillies
- 3-4 tbs thai curry paste (recipe below)
- 2 tbs soy sauce
- 2 tbs fish sauce
- 1 tbs white wine vinegar
- 11/2 tsp sugar
- 3-4 tablespoon thick coconut milk
- 2-3 tablespoon oil
- 4 lemon grass, chopped
- 2 inch ginger
- 2 cloves garlic
- 3-4 green chillies
- zest and juice of 1 lime
- 4-5 kaffir lime leaves ( if unavailable use zest of another lime)
- bunch of coriander stalks and roots, washed and chopped
- 1 tablespoon Fish sauce
- 4 tablespoon thick coconut milk
- salt and sugar as per taste
- chopped chillies
- Put all the ingredient except for the coconut milk in the blender and blend it into a fine paste.
- Now heat 2 tablespoon of oil in a pan on medium heat when hot add the paste and sauté. Then add the coconut milk and continue cooking on low heat until oil separates. let it cool and store it in a sterilised airtight container and use it later.
- Heat oil in a wok over high heat and wait till the oil starts to smoke. Then add sliced chicken meat and prawns and stir quickly. Stir until the chicken is cooked through.
- Now add the thai lemongrass paste, fish sauce, soy sauce, white wine vinegar and sugar and stir fry.
- Toss in the onions, pepper, beans and the thick coconut milk and mix everything well. Lower the heat to medium and let it cook for 2 minutes.
- Finally add the cooked rice and cook for about 3-4 minutes. check the seasoning, add more fish sauce and sugar if required then stir together for about a half-minute.
- Serve hot. Garnish with cilantro and cucumbers and chillies.
Have a great Weekend!! 😀
JayanthiSindhiyaNovember 16, 2014
Lovely fried rice,just pass me the bowl
ATasteOfMadnessNovember 16, 2014
This looks amazing! I am in love with anything rice related 🙂
Helen @ Scrummy LaneNovember 16, 2014
Hi, Arpita! Now a homemade curry paste is something I’ve never tried, but I’ve heard time and time again that it’s a good idea and makes all the difference. You’ve inspired me to give it a go!
Gayle @ Pumpkin 'N SpiceNovember 16, 2014
I love rice dishes, too…especially ones that are homemade! This thai chicken fried rice sounds fantastic, Aprita! I love that you added in curry paste to spice it up. Sounds like the perfect meal!
marcelaNovember 17, 2014
This is kind of meal I’d love to eat every single day! I love your chicken curry with rice.. I used to chicken curry when I was visiting my uncle….
Alice @ Hip Foodie MomNovember 17, 2014
oh my gawd, you made your own homemade Thai curry paste?!!! This is amazing . . can’t wait to try this!!
Jessica @ Jessica in the KitchenNovember 17, 2014
This dish sounds amazing Arpita!!! You have the most vivid photos and as usual they are stunning!
Kathy @ Olives & GarlicNovember 17, 2014
I am so excited to try making this recipe. There is a Thai place that we absolutely adore and we always order the chicken or the pork fried rice and it looks just like this one.
MiraNovember 17, 2014
This looks fresh and delicious Arpita! Homemade that curry paste -I did not know it was so easy to make! Can’t wait to try it!
Sam @ Sugar Spun RunNovember 17, 2014
This looks amazing Arpita! yum!
Ashley | Spoonful of FlavorNovember 18, 2014
This is exactly what I need for dinner! Love the combination of flavors!
Kristi @ Inspiration KitchenNovember 18, 2014
Arpita, this looks amazing! I love the spiciness of it! Totally pinning!
Dannii @ Hungry Healthy HappyNovember 18, 2014
You can’ beat homemade Thai green curry. It’s just so fresh and full of flavour. Yum!
JoanneNovember 18, 2014
Given my love of fried rice AND thai flavors…pretty sure I would love this!
Kelly - Life Made SweeterNovember 19, 2014
This fried rice looks incredible, Arpita! I love that you made your own thai curry past too – so impressive and super tasty!
Anna @ shenANNAgansNovember 19, 2014
All hale rice…. I heart rice dishes, they feature rather often in my kitchen. Loving the sound of the thai chicken fried rice, Aprita! Healthy, quick & delicious. 🙂
Michele @ Two RaspberriesNovember 19, 2014
I love homemade fried rice! it’s the best! this looks delicious!
Vanessa @ Vanessa BakedNovember 22, 2014
This looks so good! Beautiful pictures!