Thai Chicken Fried Rice With Homemade Thai Curry Paste is a delicious and fragrant fried rice, beautifully flavoured with Thai sauces and homemade Thai curry paste and can be made in a jiffy. Perfect weeknight wholesome meal!
Hubby and I are major rice dish lovers. So I have to constantly look for ways to innovate with existing recipes and make them taste different. This is how this Thai Chicken fried rice was born. Thai spices always inspire me.
Few days back I was watching a Vietnamese Cookery show I was intrigued. So intrigued that soon after the show I knew I have to recreate this dish.
They used a large stone pestle and mortar to crush the lemon grass, chillies, ginger, garlic and coriander. Apparently crushing all these ingredients in stone pestle and mortar give more flavour than blending it in a mixer.
So I made this fried rice with my Homemade Thai curry paste. This curry paste is so delicious and so fragrant i am just looking for ways to incorporate this into my dishes. It is super easy and simple to make and has more flavour and taste than that of any store bought version. You can double or triple the recipe and store it in an airtight container and refrigerate it for almost 3 weeks or freeze it for later use.
To make this Thai curry paste:
I have blended together lemongrass, ginger, garlic, green chillies, coriander stalks and roots (It has more intense flavour than that of the leaves), zest and juice of a lime, kaffir lime leaves( don’t worry if you can’t get hold of kaffir lime leaves just use zest of one more lime), fish sauce, salt, sugar into a fine paste(you can also use a stone pestle and mortar to crush everything together, but who has the time or call me lazy)
I sautéd this paste in 2 tablespoons of oil in a pan, stirring constantly (making sure not to burn the paste) then I added thick coconut milk and continued to sauté. Adding coconut milk gives an amazing flavour and a creamy texture to the paste. Sauté for 2-3 minutes and remove from the heat and cool. you can use this to make delicious Chicken thai curry or this super yummy and fragrant Thai Chicken Fried Rice.
- 4 cups Rice, long grain rice or jasmine rice
- 250 grams Chicken, Cut into bite sized pieces
- 150 grams Prawns, shelled and deveined (optional)
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 1 green pepper, thinly sliced
- 100 grams beans, cut into medium sized strips
- 2-3 red chillies
- 3-4 tbs thai curry paste (recipe below)
- 2 tbs soy sauce
- 2 tbs fish sauce
- 1 tbs white wine vinegar
- 11/2 tsp sugar
- 3-4 tablespoon thick coconut milk
- 2-3 tablespoon oil
- 4 lemon grass, chopped
- 2 inch ginger
- 2 cloves garlic
- 3-4 green chillies
- zest and juice of 1 lime
- 4-5 kaffir lime leaves ( if unavailable use zest of another lime)
- bunch of coriander stalks and roots, washed and chopped
- 1 tablespoon Fish sauce
- 4 tablespoon thick coconut milk
- salt and sugar as per taste
- chopped chillies
- Put all the ingredient except for the coconut milk in the blender and blend it into a fine paste.
- Now heat 2 tablespoon of oil in a pan on medium heat when hot add the paste and sauté. Then add the coconut milk and continue cooking on low heat until oil separates. let it cool and store it in a sterilised airtight container and use it later.
- Heat oil in a wok over high heat and wait till the oil starts to smoke. Then add sliced chicken meat and prawns and stir quickly. Stir until the chicken is cooked through.
- Now add the thai lemongrass paste, fish sauce, soy sauce, white wine vinegar and sugar and stir fry.
- Toss in the onions, pepper, beans and the thick coconut milk and mix everything well. Lower the heat to medium and let it cook for 2 minutes.
- Finally add the cooked rice and cook for about 3-4 minutes. check the seasoning, add more fish sauce and sugar if required then stir together for about a half-minute.
- Serve hot. Garnish with cilantro and cucumbers and chillies.
Have a great Weekend!! 😀