Bhuni Khichuri (Bhoger Khichuri) is a delicious and wholesome one pot meal cooked with aromatic rice like Gobindobhog chal, moong dal (split de-husked green gram) and lots of vegetables. Bhuni Khichuri is more like a pulao as it is a richer and drier version of plain khichdi. Learn how to make bhoger bhuna khichuri step-by-step in an InstantPot.
Few day back I had shared a recipe of one of the most popular street food of West Bengal “Beguni” aka Eggplant Fritters. This is not only savoured during tea time along with some muri (puffed rice) and hot tea, but also served as one of the accompaniment with bhoger Khichuri.
Then I realised, I did not have a khichuri recipe on the blog yet. 😱
This is something that we relish a lot especially when the weather is gloomy and rainy. A monsoon delight. And as I live in the Uk you can imagine how frequently we make and enjoy this delicious wholesome meal.
Now about the Niramish bhuni khicuri it is a richer and a drier version of our plain old khichdi. It is more like a rice and lentil pulao loaded with vegetables and tempered with bengali garam masala and ghee. Sometimes I do like to add dried fruits to this khichuri to add more crunch.
I usually prefer and more inclined towards our plain old porridge like khichuri, but the Mr. is more into this drier version. He does not like the wet porridge consistency at all. Hence this is what I prepare the most at home.
Bhuni Khichuri in Instantpot
I usually make bhuni khichuri in pressure cooker but this time I made it in my InstantPot. It is extremely easy to make and took just 20 minutes to make.
I have shared the recipe of how to cook Bhuni khichuri (bhoger khichuri) in instantpot as well as a pressure cooker.
Here are some dishes that you can try with this Bhuni Khichuri.
Bhuni Khichuri | Bhoger Khichuri
Bhuni khichuri | How to make Bhuni Khichuri in InstantPot | Bengali Bhuna khichuri
- 1 cup Gobindobhog chal/Basmati rice/any fragrant rice Wash and soak the rice for 15 minutes
- 1 cup Moong Dal
- 2 medium Potatoes washed, peeled and cut into quarters
- 1/2 cup Green peas
- 2 small Carrots washed and cut into roundels
- 100 gms Green beans washed and cut
- 1 inch Ginger grated
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 dried red chillies
- 1 tsp Cumin seeds
- 1 inch Cinnamon roughly pounded in pestle motor
- 3-4 Green cardamoms roughly pounded in pestle motor
- 4-5 Cloves roughly pounded in pestle motor
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric powder
- 1/2-1 tsp Chilli powder (I used kashmiri red chilli powder)
- 1/4 tsp Bengali Garam masala powder
- 1-2 tsp Sugar/ sweetener/jaggery
- Salt to taste
- 3-4 tbsp Ghee/mustard oil I used ghee
Bhuni khichuri in Instant Pot
- Set the Instant pot on saute mode and heat for a min or so. Now add the moong dal and dry roast stirring frequently to uniformly roast the dal. Dry roast until the lentils turn golden brown and aromatic. Take it off the heat and let it cool. When cooled down wash the roasted moong dal and soak for 15 minutes. After 15 minutes drain the rica and the moong dal and set it aside.
- Set the Instant pot on saute mode and add ghee.
- Heat ghee doe a minute and add bay leaves, dry red chillies, cinnamon, cardamoms, cloves and cumin seeds and saute for 10 to 20 seconds.
- Then add the chopped vegetables and saute for 5 minutes.
- Next add the grated ginger and saute.
- Now add the drained rice to the veggies and saute for 2 minutes.
- After a couple of minutes toss in the moong dal along with turmeric powder, chilli powder, garam masala powder, sugar and salt.
- Stir fry everything together for 1-2 minutes.
- Then add hot water. Remember this is of pulao consistency so add enough hot water to cook the lentil and rice. Check the seasoning. Add salt and sugar if required.Now press Cancel to turn off the SAUTÉ mode and close the lid of the Instant Pot. Set it on PRESSURE COOK on the low pressure mode setting manually for 6-7 minutes.
- When the cooking time is complete, let it naturally release the pressure for 10-15 minutes. Once the pressure settles down, open the lid.
- Serve it hot with with beguni, labra, chatni and some papad.
Bhuni Khichuri in Pressure cooker
- Heat a kadai/pan and add the moong dal and dry roast stirring frequently to uniformly roast the dal. Dry roast until the lentils turn golden brown and aromatic. Take it off the heat and let it cool. When cooled down wash the roasted moong dal and soak for 15 minutes. After 15 minutes drain the rice and the moong dal and set it aside.
- Heat a pressure cooker on medium high heat and add ghee. Temper the ghee with bay leaves, dried red chillies, cumin seeds,cinnamon, cardamoms, cloves and sauté.
- Next add the chopped veggies and saute for 4-5 minutes. Add the grated ginger and saute.
- Toss in the rice and saute along with the veggies for 2 minutes. Next add the moong dal along with turmeric powder, chilli powder, garam masala powder, salt and sugar. and mix everything well.
- Now add enough hot water to make a pulao consistency khichdi. Put on the lid and pressure cook for 3-4 whistles on medium high heat. Once the pressure settles down, open the lid and serve hot.
I hope you enjoy this delicious Bhuni Khichuri as much as we do!