Cabbage with potatoes and green peas (Bandhakophir Torkari) a simple yet delicious Bengali dish made with cabbage, peas and potatoes and flavoured with spices and garam masala.
Bengalis prepare many variations of cabbage dishes. Cabbage with shrimps (Chingri mach diye bandhakopi), Dry Cabbage dish (Bandhakopir Ghonto), Cabbage Curry with Fish Head (Macher matha diye Bandhakopir Torkari). Oh… thinking about this makes me so nostalgic.
Some people complain that cabbage causes them Gas. There are several dozen sulfur-containing derivatives of the amino acid cysteine found in cabbage and an equivalent number of associated sulfoxides as well. One way you can reduce it is by overcooking the cabbage. It is one of the best ways I know to rob vegetables of their nutrient benefits; when it comes to cabbage this includes its sulfur-related benefits.
I recommend about five minutes (at most) for the steaming or “Healthy Sauteing” of raw cabbage. This process does not deprive the cabbage of any flavour.
Well too much of the science… 😉
Hope you enjoy Cabbage with potatoes and green peas as much as we do.
- 1 medium sized cabbage
- 3 medium potatoes, peeled and cut into big chunks(each potato cut into 4 pieces)
- 1 cup peas
- 1 tomato chopped
- 1 inch ginger, grated
- 2 green chillies
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 red dry chilli, broken
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 2 small green cardamom
- 3 cloves
- 1 inch cinnamon stick
- 1 teaspoons turmeric powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1/2 tsp coriander powder
- 1 teaspoon red chilli powder
- 1 tsp sugar
- salt as required
- 4 tablespoons oil
- 1 teaspoons garam masala powder
- 1 teaspoons ghee
- Wash and shred the cabbage into very very thin strips.
- Wash, peel and cut the potatoes into large chunks(I like my potato pieces big as it soaks up all the flavours), sprinkle it with little salt and turmeric.
- In a heavy bottom pan heat 2 tbsp of oil, when hot enough add in the potatoes pieces and fry for few minutes till it turns golden brown. Remove with slotted spoon and keep it aside.
- Add the remaining oil to the pan. When hot, add the garam masala (for more flavour crush roughly the garam masala in a pestle and mortar) when it starts sizzling and you get the beautiful aroma of the spices add bay leaf, dried red chillies and cumin seeds.
- When the cumin seeds starts spluttering add the grated ginger, green chillies, tomato, and all the masala powders and fry for few minutes until tomato becomes soft and mushy and the oil separates from the sides.
- Now add the shredded cabbage and green peas and salt and toss everything together and cook on medium heat for 4-5 minutes.
- Add the fried potatoes and mix everything well. Now add half cup of water, cover and cook on low to medium heat for 20-25 minutes tossing frequently every few minutes.
- Now add the sugar and mix everything well.
- Continue cooking till all of the water is dried out and the potatoes and cabbage pieces are cooked. The cabbage pieces might not appear as whole, they will be quite mushed.
- Sprinkle the garam masala and the ghee in it and mix everything.
- Serve warm with roti or rices as a side.