Kashmiri Paneer or Tamatar Chaman is a popular Kashmiri style paneer preparation made with succulent paneer pieces simmered in tomato gravy beautifully flavoured with spices and fennel seeds. Kashmiri Tamatar Chaman is an extremely delicious Indian paneer dish that can be enjoyed as a side dish with naan or with rice.
Paneer never ceases to lure hubby or me to the dinner table. Paneer is a type of fresh cheese very common in Indian cuisine and can be easily made at home with milk. It’s completely vegetarian. Paneer is very versatile ingredient. And has a delicate flavour which is used in a variety dishes from curries to desserts to sides. It is moist and soft and is crumbly in texture; that goes beautifully with strong flavours and is also one of my all time favourite ingredients.
Here is an easy step by step homemade paneer recipe that you can try. that Paneer is very versatile ingredient.
Kashmiri Tamatar Chaman
Kashmiri cuisine has always fascinated me. It’s exotic and rich flavours makes it stand out of the lot. One such Kashmiri dish is this Tamatar Chaman or Tomato paneer. Tamatar Chaman is a paneer preparation made in a tomato and fennel seeds gravy. It has got quite a refreshing taste than out regular butter masala or matar paneer. I always find myself carried away by the aroma and appearance of this sumptuous dish. Look at that lush colour!1
The sweet aroma of fennel elevates this ordinary tomato based curry to something quite elaborate. You would be surprised how simple this recipe is. This Kashmiri dish is ideal to cook this with fresh tomatoes/tamatar, which are blanched and then added to the curry. Although you can also use tinned plum tomatoes ( which I do sometimes!! ). Or tomato puree which gives it a thick gravy and also is a quick option. That’s my little cheat! 😉
What are the ingredients used in Kashmiri paneer/ tamatar chaman?
Tamatar chaman is made with out onion and garlic in it. Lets see the ingredient list used in tamatar chaman.
- Fennel seed powder
- Ginger powder (sonth)
- Masalas (Kashmiri red chilli powder, turmeric powder, cumin powder)
- Whole spices like (Cinnamon ,green and black cardamoms, cloves, cumin seeds, Bay leaves)
- Hing (asafoetida)
- Kashmiri garam masala
- Mustard oil/ veg oil
Here are few Paneer recipes that you can try.
Kashmiri Paneer (Tamatar Chaman)
Kashmiri Paneer | Kashmiri Tamatar Chaman
- large thick bottomed pan
- 250 grams 250 grams Paneer ( Cottage Cheese), cubed
- 5 large Tomatoes, blanched
- 1/2 inch Ginger
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 inch Cinnamon
- 3-4 Cloves
- 2-3 Green cardamom
- 1 black cardamom
- 2 bay leaf
- 1/4 tsp hing( asafoetida)
- 1 tablespoon Fennel powder
- 1/2 tsp Cumin powder
- 1/2 tsp Ginger powder (sonth)
- 1 tsp Kashmiri Chilli powder
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric powder plus 1/2 tsp extra for marinating paneer
- 1/2 tsp Kashmiri garam masala powder
- 1 tsp Sugar
- salt as per taste
- 3-4 tbsp Mustard Oil
- Add tomatoes, ginger mixer and grind it to a fine paste.
- Heat 2 tablespoon oil for shallow frying paneer. Fry the paneer pieces in batches. You basically just want to get a golden hue in places. Remove with a slotted spoon and keep it aside.
- In the same pan add the remaining oil, add cumin seeds and hing, once the seed splutter add the cinnamon stick, cloves, cardamom and bay leaves.
- Now add the ground tomato puree and cook it well for 8-10 minutes or until the raw smell disappears.
- Add the chilli powder, fennel seed powder, turmeric powder, cumin powder and sauté well.
- Add salt and sugar along with 1/4 cup of water continue cooking for 5 minutes.
- Now add the fried paneer along with 1/2 cup of water into the gravy and mix well. Check the seasoning and adjust as per taste.
- Cover and cook for 4-5 minutes or until oil floats to top and you reach the desired consistency in gravy. Ideally this dish is slightly thick.
- In the end add the garam masala powder and mix well. Take it off the heat.
- Enjoy it with steamed rice or naan or roti.
I hope you enjoy this Kashmiri Tamatar Chaman as much as we do!
Stay Safe! Stay Positive!