Besan ladoo is a rich and delicious and melt in the mouth Indian mithai(sweet). Besan Ke Ladoo is a traditional Indian sweet or dessert, which is mostly prepared during the festival of Diwali. I am sure each and every Indian has grown up eating this delectable Besan Ke Ladoo(Laddu).
Besan ke ladoo brings back so many memories of childhood. The festival of Diwali
used to be is one of my favourite time of the year. DIWALI the festival of Lights. New clothes, decorating the house, hanging beautiful lanterns, lighting diyas and candles all around the house. Oh how beautiful everything looks with the whole place lit up. And how can I forget the exchanging of sweets and savouries and of course the most exciting thing bursting fire crackers, the skies will be lit up with bright colourful fireworks.
Well being a foodie as I was then and now too my highlight used to be all the delicious Diwali delicacies that used to come from families, friends and neighbours. I used to eagerly wait for all the delicious Diwali faral (faral is basically a collection of sweet and savoury goodies that is relished during the time of Diwali) like chaklis, namakpares, shakarpare, barfis, different types of ladoos, chewdas the list is endless… And the first thing that I used to pounce on from all those delicious farals was.. You guessed it right.. Hehe.. Besan ke Ladoos..
Besan Ke Ladoo get their distinct nutty flavour by slowly roasting the gram flour (chickpea flour) and ghee together. The gentle aromatic wafts of the ghee roasted Gram flour make you swoon and crave for these delicious golden balls. These laddus are definitely the labour of love and patience. Remember good things take time!!
It takes a bit of time but it is not difficult at all.. I used around 2 cups of sifted gram flour(besan), sifted besan because I wanted to get rid of all the lumps in the flour. Then in a large wide pan I added the melted ghee and the besan and started roasting both these ingredients on low flame. This roasting of flour is a bit time consuming, so don’t be tempted to burst up the flame to fasten the procedure, you may end up with burning the flour.
I roasted the gram flour and ghee mixture for almost 25 mins. When you start getting a beautiful nutty aroma of the roasted besan and the color of the flour changes to lovely golden brown, take it down the heat and place the hot flour mixture in a large bowl.
After say about few minutes when the mixture is still slightly warm and not hot to handle, add cardamom powder, chopped nuts and powdered sugar to it and mix everything well. Now grease you palms with ghee and start making ladoos. Garnish with more nuts or raisins for finishing touch.
I hope you enjoy making these delicious melt in the mouth Besan Ladoos for this Diwali for your friends and family.
- 2 cups Besan( gramm flour/Chickpea flour)
- 1/2 cup + 2 tbsp Ghee, melted
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 tsp Cardamom powder (freshly ground)
- 2-3 tbsp chopped nuts (almond, cashews)
- Raisins and Pistachios chopped to garnish (optional)
- Firstly sift the besan( gram flour) to get rid of the lumps and set it aside.
- In a large wide pan add the melted ghee and the sifted besan together. The besan absorbs all the ghee and it gets a sand like texture.
- On low heat, roast the besan for 20-25 minutes, stiring continuously, untill it starts giving out a sweet nutty aroma.
- The colour of the besan will gradually start to change to light golden brown. Be careful not to over roast or burn the besan.
- Take it off the heat and place the hot besan-ghee mixture in a large bowl.
- Let it cool for sometime around 4 to 5 mins or warm to handle the mixture. Remember do not add powdered sugar to the besan ghee mixture when very hot or the sugar might melt and making ladoos will be very difficult.
- When the mixture cools of and slightly warm to handle add the cardamom powder, chopped nuts and powdered sugar to it and mix everything well together.
- Now grease both your palms with a little ghee and start making the ladoos/balls. This yielded me around 20 medium sized ladoos.
- Garnish with chopped nuts and raisins and serve.