Fresh Strawberry Ice Cream
Today’s recipe is Fresh Strawberry Ice Cream. It is a delicious, smooth, super rich and creamy ice cream full of strawberry goodness. Perfect for a hot Summer day..
Its Summer. Season of sweet luscious strawberries. Best time to enjoy this wonderful ice cream. I love strawberry so any thing with strawberry is a Yes for me. You know as a kid I was not at all fond of strawberry ice cream, and always favoured chocolate, vanilla or butterscotch over strawberry ice cream. I don’t know may be it was the artificial flavourings that repelled me or didn’t tempt me. It tasted horrible just sweet not at all creamy with little flavouring and no signs of fresh strawberries. 🙁
I got converted after becoming an adult(hopefully I have become one!). When I started making my own ice cream with fresh strawberries, it turned out to be sooo delicious so creamy, so rich that now it has become one of my favourites ice creams.. 😀
One more reason to make this ice-cream is because hubby desired to eat tutti-frutti sundae ice-cream. It essentially is a combination of vanilla and strawberry ice-cream with fresh fruits and loads of nuts. Its just yum… I will be uploading the recipe soon. Thats why instead of buying a store bought ice-cream I decided to make my own. It is delicious, soft and smooth and so creamy with a subtle strawberry flavour. Its just gorgeous. I licked my bowl clean, trust me its so delicious. And very easy to make. You can make it even if you don’t have an ice cream maker.
- 500 grams Fresh Strawberries
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup Whole milk
- 5 Egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- To make the Custard: In a small saucepan, add the cream and milk and bring to a simmer. (do not boil the mixture)
- In a large bowl, whisk together the egg yolks and 3/4 cup of sugar for 4-5 minutes or until it turns a pale colour and thickens in consistency.
- Pour 1 cup of the hot milk-cream mixture into the egg-sugar mixture to temper the eggs while whisking continuously, slowly pour the egg-sugar mixture back into the saucepan with the milk-cream mixture and stir the it constantly over low heat about 5-7 minutes, scraping the bottom as you stir, until the mixture thickens and coats the back of a wooden spoon.
- Strain the mixture through a fine sieve in a clean bowl, add the vanilla and salt, stir to combine and chill for 1-2 hours.
- Meanwhile, place the strawberries with ¼ cup of the sugar in a food processor and blend until smooth. If you like your ice-cream really smooth without the seeds of strawberries then strain the strawberry puree through a fine sieve and transfer the mixture to a container and refrigerate for 1 hour. (I like my ice-cream smooth so I strained it but if you like the little bits and pieces of strawberry then straight away add the blended strawberry puree)
- Remove the custard and the strawberry puree from the refrigerator. Add the strawberry puree to the custard and stir to combine fully.
- Now cover and place the mixture in the refrigerator again for at least 8 hours (or overnight).
- Once the mixture is sufficiently chilled, give everything a good whisk to combine it, place it in your ice cream machine and freeze according to the ice-cream makers instructions.
- Prepare the custard base as directed in the recipe.
- Remove custard from the refrigerator and stir. Now pour the mixture to a deep freezer-safe container and place in the freezer for 45 minutes.
- As it starts to freeze near the edges, remove from the freezer and stir vigorously with a whisk, being sure to break up any frozen sections. Return it to the freezer.
- Continue to check every 30 minutes, stirring vigorously as it’s freezing. This might take 3-4 hours for the ice cream to be sufficiently frozen and ready.
I hope you enjoy this Delicious Strawberry Ice Cream.. 🙂