How to make Gobi Paratha | Gobi Paratha also known as Punjabi gobi paratha is one of the most popular parathas of India. Gobi paratha is basically spicy cauliflower stuffed Indian flatbread. The paratha is beautifully flavoured with cauliflower and spices and can be enjoyed as breakfast, lunch or dinner. Laden with butter or ghee these parathas can be enjoyed with some yogurt or achar(pickle) and definitely with a hot cup of chai.
Parathas are one of the most popular dishes of Northern India but it is hugely loved all over India and abroad too. It is made almost every day in certain households in the northern parts of India. Parathas are one of the versatile dishes ever as you can stuff it with anything you desire. Here are some of the most popular parathas Aloo paratha (potato paratha), paneer (cottage cheese paratha) paratha, mooli paratha (white raddish paratha) and gobi paratha (cauliflower paratha). So today I am sharing the recipe of this delicious gobi ka paratha.
Winter time in India calls for parathas especially gobi parathas as cauliflowers are winter vegetable and seasonal vegetables are always the best. these sweet little cauliflowers are very delicate vegetable as it soaks in all the beautiful flavours of the masalas.
There are 2 ways of making the stuffing for gobi parathas. In the more traditional way the grated cauliflower is mixed with spices and stuffed in the dough and the other method the stuffing is cooked with spices before stuffing. Today I am sharing the recipe of gobi paratha with cooked cauliflower stuffing which is extremely delicious and easy to make.
How to make Gobi Paratha | Authentic Punjabi Gobi Paratha recipe
For the stuffing:
- 2 cups cauliflower, finely grated (grate in a food processor or use hand grater)
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 inch Ginger, grated
- 2 green chillies, chopped
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp red chilli powder
- 1/2 tsp cumin powder
- 1/2 tsp coriander powder
- 1 1/2 tsp chaat masala powder
- salt , as per taste
- 2 tsp veg oil
- 1/4 cup coriander leaves, chopped
For the dough:
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 tsp oil
- water required to knead the dough
Flour for rolling the dough
Oil or ghee for frying
To make cauliflower stuffing:
- Heat 2 tsp oil in a pan, when hot add chopped onions, and fry until translucent. Then add the grated ginger and chopped chillies and sauté for 10 seconds.
- Now toss in the grated cauliflower and sauté. Add the masala powders and salt and mix everything well. Continue frying until the mixture is dry. In the end add coriander leaves and remove from the heat. Let the mixture cool till then we can prepare the dough.
To make the Dough:
- In a large bowl add the wheat flour, salt and oil and mix everything. Now slowly add water little at a time and start kneading to make a soft and smooth dough. Cover and let it rest for 10 mins.
- After 10 mins, knead the dough again and divide it into 8 large dough balls.
To make Gobi parathas:
- Dust the work surface with some flour, take one dough ball and roll it out into 4 inch diameter circle with a rolling pin.
- Now add one portion of stuffing in the centre (do not overstuff) and bring the sides together and again roll it into a ball.
- Now press the stuffed dough gently and sprinkle some floUr and roll it out into a 7 to 8 inch circle.
- Heat a pan on medium heat. Once the pan is hot add the paratha and cook. Once you see small bubbles on the surface, flip the paratha over and cook.
- Now apply some oil and continue cooking for until till golden brown spots appear on both sides. Remove it from the pan.
- Repeat the same process with the rest of the parathas.
- Serve it hot with yogurt and or pickle and some hot chai.
If you have tried this recipe, you can share your beautiful creation and tag me @gastronomicbong on instagram or facebook.
I hope you like this gobi parathas as much as we do.