Begun Pora Kofta Curry (Roasted Eggplant Kofta Curry) is a delicious and creamy curry made with tender roasted begun/eggplant kofta simmered in flavourful and luscious sauce. Perfect curry to be mopped up with some phulkas as well as rice.
Hope you are all well..
Kofta curries are very close to my heart and today I am sharing one of my favourites, delicious and luscious Kofta curry made with Begun/eggplant/brinjal.
Whattt!!??? Koftas made with Eggplant??
Yes you heard it right Baingan/begun kofta.
Eggplant or Begun is first charred and roasted to perfection on stove top. Then the soft tender flesh of the eggplant/begun is mashed along with gramflour, rice flour, onion, chillies, coriander leaves and deep fried to perfection.
Look at these golden fried babies. These eggplant koftas or pakoras along with some chai makes a perfect evening snacks. Don’t you think so?!
Here are few eggplant recipes that you can try.
Begun Pora Kofta Curry
Begun Pora Kofta Curry | Roasted eggplant Kofta Curry
- large thick bottomed pan/ large Kadhai
- deep frying pan
- 2 medium Eggplant
- clove garlic
- 3/4 cup 3/4 cup Gram flour/Chickpea flour
- 2 tbsp rice flour
- 1 small onion chopped
- 2 Green Chillies chopped
- 1/4 cup Coriander leaves chopped
- Salt as per taste
- Oil for deep frying
For the kofta curry:
- 2 Bay leaves
- 1-2 Dried red chilli
- 1 tsp Cumin seeds
- 1 inch Cinnamon/cassia
- 2 Green Cardamoms
- 2-3 Cloves
- 1 large Onion, chopped
- 2 tsp Ginger-Garlic paste
- 1 large Tomato, chopped
- 12-15 Cashew nuts (soaked in water for 10 minutes and then made into a smooth paste)
- 1 tsp Chilli powder
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp coriander powder
- 1 tsp Cumin powder
- 1/2 tsp Garam masala powder
- Salt as per taste
- 2 tbsp Veg/Sunflower Oil
- Handful Coriander leaves chopped
To make then koftas:
- Firstly score the eggplants with a knife and rub it with some oil and salt. Now put it in medium-low open flame on a gas burner. I covered the stove base with some aluminium foil to catch the drippings from the eggplant. Roasting Eggplant/Begun in oven Wash and dry the eggplant. Then pierce the eggplant all over with a knife or fork. I roasted the eggplant in my oven. Grill the eggplant turning every 5 mins. Grill until its is soft and tender.)
- Roast the eggplants for 20 to 25 minutes or until cooked through and soft. Prick it with a knife to check the doneness. The skin will be completely charred but it add a lovely smoky flavour to the dish. Take it off the heat and let it cool slightly.
- Remove the charred skin off the eggplants and scoop out the velvety flesh of the eggplant and mash it lightly with a fork. To that add the roasted eggplant add onion, green chiles, coriander leaves, salt, gram flour/chickpea flour and rice flour. Mix everything very well with your fingers. It will be a thick batter.
- Heat enough oil on medium heat to deep fry the koftas. When hot drop a small ball of batter in the oil. Fry few at a time do not over crowd.
- Fry till they turn golden brown on all sides. Remove with a slotted spoon and keep it on a kitchen towel.
To make the Kofta Curry:
- Heat oil in a large pan. when hot temper it with bay leaves, cumin seeds, cardamoms, cinnamon and cloves and saute.
- When the seeds crackle add the chopped onion and saute for 4-5 minutes until soft and translucent.
- Then add the ginger garlic paste and saute until the raw smell disappears.
- Next stir in the chopped tomato and saute on medium heat until soft and mushy.
- Add the turmeric, chilli, cumin, coriander powders along with salt and 2 tbsp water and saute for 1-2 minutes.
- Now add the cashew nut paste and mic it well with the masala.
- Add 1 1/2 cup of water and bring it to a boil. Lower the heat and cover and cook for 4-5 minutes.
- Finally drop in the roasted eggplant koftas in the gravy along with 1/2 tsp garam masala and mix. cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Sprinkle with some coriander leaves and take it off the heat. Serve it hot with roti or rice.
I hope you enjoy this Begun pora Kofta Curry as much as we do!
Stay Safe! Stay Positive!