Orange Almond Cake with Candied Orange
Today’s recipe is Orange Almond Cake with Candied Orange. A deliciously moist and very light textured orange cake, bursting with fresh citrusy orange flavour, and couldn’t be easier to make. It is a perfect tea time cake.
This cake is made with whole orange- simmered until very tender and then blended in a food processor to make a paste. It is then mixed with ground almonds and flour, this cake has a moist, light texture and a wonderful fresh orange flavour. I topped the cake with flaked almonds. The flaked almonds gave it a lovely crunch. Love the Nutty crunch.. 🙂
Hmmm.. now my most favourite part.. Candied Orange slices.. It is very simple to make. Orange slices are simmered in sugar and water; in the end you are left with these delicious candied oranges and a beautiful orange-scented syrup. Yumm… I garnished the cake with these delicious and gorgeous candied orange slices and drizzled it with the orange-scented syrup. 😀
- 1 large Orange
- 100 grams Almond powder
- 100 grams Plain flour
- 75 grams Unsalted Butter, melted
- 125 grams caster sugar
- 50 grams Light Muscavado sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon Baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Baking Soda
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla extract ( I like to add vanilla in all my desserts. Its not mandatory, you can omit it if you want)
- Flaked almonds (optional)
- 2 Oranges, sliced horizontally into thin slices (around 10-12 slices)
- 100 grams granulated Sugar
- 1 1/2 cup Water
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees C/ fan oven 160 degrees C. Butter a 23 cm round cake pan and line it with greaseproof paper.
- Now place the whole orange in a pan and cover with water. Bring to a boil then simmer for 45-1 hour or until the orange is very soft. Drain and discard water, then let it cool.
- Chop the cooked orange and remove the pips. Then whizz in a food processor until smooth.
- Now in a large mixing bowl whisk together the sugar and eggs until light and fluffy with a hand mixer.
- Sift the plain flour, ground almond, baking powder and baking soda on to the egg-sugar mixer. Fold it gently.
- Add the pureed orange, melted butter and vanilla extract. Fold it gently until everything is mixed.
- Pour the cake batter into the prepared tin and then sprinkle some flaked almonds on top.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes (my cake took 30 minutes) or until tooth pick inserted comes out clean.
- Allow to cool in the tin. Then remove to a rack to cool.
- In a large skillet, combine sugar and water and bring to a boil. Now add the oranges slices and cook over medium heat, turning slices occasionally.
- Cook until the liquid is reduced to syrup and the orange slices are translucent. It takes about 30-35 minutes.
- Transfer the orange slices to a rack to cool and store the orange syrup.
- Once the orange slices are cool, layer them on top of the cake. And drizzle the syrup on the cake if you desire.
- This cake can be enjoyed without candied orange too.. just dust the cake with icing sugar and Wallaaa!! you are good to go.. 🙂
I have found that the flavour of this cake intensifies the next day. So you can bake this cake a day or so in advance before serving. 😀
Hope you enjoy this Super Moist Orange Almond Cake. 🙂