Today’s recipe is Prawns and Asparagus in Creamy Coconut Curry. This is a delicious and mild prawns coconut curry cooked with indian spices to perfection. It tastes amazing and can be dished out within half an hour.
Life has been so busy lately! Busy planning one of my close friends baby shower. This is my first time hosting a baby shower and I am so excited. 🙂
Man oh man! but I had no idea so much planning and time goes into it.
Setting the theme of the shower, time to be held, making a guest list, sending out invitations, food and refreshments, shopping, buying favours, games, gifts… OMG!! the list is endless… But I am loving every bit of it.. 😀
Ladies this my first time hosting a baby shower. Any ideas or advice welcome!
Well lets get back to the curry!!
Yesterday it got me thinking, when was the last time I prepared a really nice curry. Sure we have been eating well; I have been making simpler dishes. Curry and Rice is comfort food at its best! This was one of my favourite meals when I was growing up.
From where I come from, curry is one of life’s true happiness. It is strong, laden with coconut milk, spicy, aromatic and flavourful. It is thick, mild rich, sweet and fragrant gravy mixed with prawns and asparagus and spices.
It is a typical bengali prawn curry ‘Chingri Malaicurry’ which uses prawns with coconut to make a rich and sumptuous dish.
- 250 grams Prawns, shelled and deveined
- 150 grams Asparagus, washed and cut into 1 inch pieces, bottom inch or so discarded
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon ginger-garlic paste
- 2 chillies, seeded and slit
- 1 tablespoon tomato puree
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon chilli powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1/2 teaspoon coriander powder
- 250ml thick Coconut milk
- 100 ml water
- 2 bay leaf
- 2 cardamom
- 1" cinnamon stick
- 3-4 cloves
- 3-4 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- salt as per taste
- Marinate prawns with a pinch of turmeric and salt for 15- 20 minutes.
- Heat 2 tablespoon oil in a thick bottom pan, add 2 tbsp of the oil and fry the prawns for a 20-30 seconds on each side. They will start to colour but don’t cook them all the way through. Remove the prawns from the heat and set aside..
- In the same pan heat the remaining oil add the green cardamom, cloves, cinnamon and bay leaves, sauté for a minute till they get fragrant.
- Now add in the chopped onions and fry on a medium heat, stirring frequently. When it turns translucent, add the ginger-garlic paste and fry for few minutes.
- Then add in the tomato puree and sauté.
- Add the chilli powder, turmeric, cumin and coriander powder, sugar and salt. Stir for a further minute; pour over the coconut milk and water. Bring to a boil and simmer on a low heat.
- Add the asparagus and prawns, simmer for 5 minutes.
- Garnish with fresh coriander and serve warm with boiled rice.
I hope you enjoy this delicious prawns and asparagus coconut curry. 🙂
Love prawns? you may like my Perfect Summer Pasta- Garlic Prawn Spaghetti with Lemon, Zucchini and Cherry Tomatoes
You will also like One Pot Coconut Rice with Prawns topped with Caramalized Onions ..