Pumpkin Cardamom Whole Wheat Pancakes with Jaggery Caramelised Walnuts. These pumpkin whole wheat pancakes spiced with cardamom are super fluffy so full of goodness and maks a perfect healthy breakfast. Top it up with jaggery caramelised walnuts for that extra crunch and sweetness.
I love pumpkin and squash and can eat all year around. But there is something about these seasonal pumpkins. They are extra sweet and so delicious. Seasonal veggies or fruits are always the best, right?!
I feel pumpkins are so versatile they taste amazing in curries, baked goodies even desserts. Just like my Pumpkin Cardamom Creme Brulee with Gin. A perfect dessert to entertain guests this winter.
Any pumpkin lovers in the house??
Then you must definitely try these amazingly light and fluffy spiced pumpkin pancakes. And cardamom being my favourite spice, adding a bit to the batter takes this pancakes to the next level of deliciousness. These pumpkin cardamom pancakes are healthy, guilt free, delicious and liked by all toddlers or adults.
My little one loves his pumpkin pancakes with some honey. Or may be I add few chocolate chips on his and sometimes in our as well. Who doesn’t like chocolate? It makes everything amazing.
Ingredients used for making fluffy whole wheat pancakes
Making this pumpkin pancakes is super easy and takes just 15 minutes if you have all the ingredients on hand. It makes a thick batter so don’t be alarmed. Ingredients used are:
Pumpkin Puree: I usually make it at home. I boil the pumpkins for 20-25 mins. drain the water and make a smooth puree. You can use store bought pumpkin puree as well.
Cardamom powder: Freshly ground cardamom seeds.
Whole Wheat flour: Use any good quality store bought whole wheat flour.
Eggs: I used large free range eggs.
Yogurt: I used natural yogurt. Greek yogurt works well too.
Milk: I used whole milk. But feel free to use anything you desire.
Baking powder, Baking soda, vanilla essence, salt and a little sugar (You can totally skip the sugar).
My husband and myself both like something crunchy on our pancakes, so I decided to top our pancakes up with jaggery candied walnuts. They are very easy to make and so addictive. All you need is jaggery and walnuts. Melt the jaggery and add walnuts in it. Tadaaa!! done.
Few pointer to remember while making Fluffy Whole wheat pancakes.
DO not make the batter thin. Thin batter is will not yield you fluffy pancakes.
DO not over mix the batter. Mix only till the dry ingredients and the wet ingredients are combined.
Temperature at which these pancakes are cooked plays a very important role too. These pumpkin pancakes should be cooked on medium temperature, this gives the pancakes time to rise.
Here are a few breakfast recipes you can try.
Here are few pumpkin recipes that you can try.
Pumpkin Whole wheat pancakes recipe
Pumpkin Cardamom Whole Wheat Pancakes | Whole wheat Pumpkin pancakes recipe | Fluffy whole wheat pancakes
- Large bowl
For the Pumpkin pancakes
- 1 1/2 cups Whole Wheat Flour (or all purpose flour)
- 1 1/2 tsp Baking powder
- 1/2 tsp Baking soda
- 1 tsp Cardamom powder
- 1 cup Pumpkin Puree **notes
- 1 Eggs
- 1 cup Yogurt
- 3/4 cup Milk
- 1 tsp Vanilla essence
- 1 tbsp Sugar/ sweetener
- pinch of Salt
For the Jaggery Candied walnuts
- 100 grams Jaggery
- 100 grams Walnuts
Jaggery candied walnuts
- In a pan add jaggery and cook over low flame. Stirring frequently.
- When the jaggery is melted and looks glossy then add the walnuts and mix everything well. take it off the heat and set it aside.
- In a large mixing bowl whisk together pumpkin puree, yogurt, milk, eggs and vanilla essence.
- In a separate bowl whisk together all the dry ingredients. Now pour the wet mixture in the dry ingredients and mix until combined. If you think the batter is very thick(i.e. non pourable) add 1-2 tbsp of milk and lightly mix. Do not over mix the batter.
- Let it stand for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile heat a skillet or pan over medium-low heat. Brush the skillet with some butter.
- Now scoop some batter and pour it on the hot griddle and spread it out as it is quite thick. Let it cook for 1-2 minutes until you can see bubbles in the surface and the underside is golden brown. Then flip it around and cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Serve with some jaggery caramelised walnuts or maple syrup or honey.
Look at these tiny little hands trying to grab those blueberries while I was taking photographs.
I hope you enjoy this deliciously fluffy Pumpkin spiced pancakes as much as we do.
If you have tried this recipe, I would love to see your wonderful creation. simply click a picture and tag me @gastronomicbong or #gastronomicbong on Instagram.
angiesrecipesOctober 31, 2019
A perfect Fall breakfast treat!
[email protected] BongNovember 1, 2019
Yes it is!! Thanks Angie