Recheado Fish Fry is a Goan speciality, where fish like mackerel (bangda) is slit and stuffed with a spicy and tangy recheado masala, coated with rava and then shallow fried. Recheado mackerel fry is perfect when paired with goan fish curry and rice.
Few days back while shopping in a superstore, I laid my eyes on some big, fleshy mackerels and the fish lover in me started dreaming and screaming Goan food. Yup had already decided what I would prepare and picked up a few of those beauties.
As you can already see we had a lovely Goan food feast. Crispy rava fish fry stuffed with recheado masala and Goan fish curry and beer. Blissful!
What is Recheado?
Well recheado is a Portuguese word for stuffed. The recheado masala is spicy, tangy and aroma of recheado masala is just so enticing. The fish is slit and stuffed with amazing tangy, spicy recheado masala, then coated with rava and shallow fried until golden brown and crispy.
Recheado masala pairs really well with mackerel also known as bangada. But you can also make it with silver pomfret or paaplet as we call it in Mumbai.
Ingredients used in making Recheado masala.
It is pretty simple masala paste made with all basic ingredients. The ingredients used are lots of kashmiri dried red chillies. I have also added few spicy variety of dried red chillies for some spicy kick.
Other ingredients used are mustard seeds, coriander seeds, cumin seeds, turmeric powder, cardamoms, cinnamon, clovers. Ginger, garlic (I used balsajo black garlic cloves in this recipe, it has added a lovely smoky sweetness to this paste). Onion that I have chopped and sautéd in 2 tsp oil, sugar and salt. And all these ingredients along with white vinegar are added to mixer and ground into a fine paste. Tadaaa!!
If there is any leftover masala, just store in a container in the fridge. It keeps well for a long time. Use it whenever required.
How to make Recheado fish fry?
Wash and clean the fish which ever you are using (mackerel/pomfret) and slit the fish. Then marinate it with some lemon juice and salt for at least 10-15 minutes. Meanwhile go ahead and prepare the recheado masala.
Then stuff and coat the fish with the masala. Coat it with rava and carefully shallow fry until the fish is cooked through, golden brown and crispy.
Serve it alongside rice and some goan fish curry. Which by the way I will be sharing soon. So stay tuned.
Fish lovers like me?! Here are few delicious fish recipes that you can try.
Goan style Mackerel Fish Fry
Goan Recheado Fish Fry | Mackerel Fish fry Goa style | How to make Recheado masala |
- Large frying pan
- 4 Mackerel/bangada/ pomfret washed and cleaned
- 2-3 tbsp lemon juice
- salt to marinate the fish
- 1/2 cup Rava (semolina) to coat the fish
For Recheado Masala
- 10-12 Kashmiri Red chillies
- 4-5 Dried red chilli (spicy variety) (optional)
- 2/3 cup White Vinegar ** (Add more if required to make a fine paste)
- 1 Onion (chopped and sautéd in 2 tsp oil until soft and golden brown)
- 7-8 large Garlic cloves (I used Balsajo black garlic)
- 1 inch Ginger
- 1 tsp Turmeric powder
- 2-3 Green Cardamoms
- 4-5 Cloves
- 1 inch Cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp Coriander seeds
- 1/2 tsp Cumin seeds
- 2-3 tsp palm sugar/sugar/jaggery Add more or less according to taste
- Salt to taste
- 3-4 tbsp Oil for shallow frying
- Clean the fish and make slit in the fish for stuffing. Then marinate the fish with lemon juice and salt and keep it aside.
- Meanwhile in a mixer grinder add all the ingredients under recheado masala and ground into a fine paste. Add more vinegar few tsps at a time if required to ground into a fine paste.
- Now stuff and coat the fish really well with the recheado masala.
- Now coat the recheado stuffed fish with semolina/rava.
- Heat 3-4 tablespoons of oil in a frying pan or skillet and shallow fry the fish on medium to low heat. Fry until the fish is crispy and golden brown.
- Serve Recheado fish fry with lime wedges and onions along with rice and goan fish curry.
I hope you enjoy this delicious Goan Recheado Fish Fry as much as we do.
If you have tried this recipe, I would love to see your wonderful creation. simply click a picture and tag me @gastronomicbong or #gastronomicbong on Instagram.